Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

A partial rset worked for me... Thanks

HP Recommended

Black will not print. Tried new HP cart. Ran through all the service functions. Swapped black cart with my HP7000 , which take the same 920 cart, and it worked fine.  Cleaned cart carrier. .Does anyone have some suggestions.

HP Recommended

@PapaLes wrote:

Black will not print. Tried new HP cart. Ran through all the service functions. Swapped black cart with my HP7000 , which take the same 920 cart, and it worked fine.  Cleaned cart carrier. .Does anyone have some suggestions.

Try the steps in this post.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hope that someone can help I am having the problem of setting the printer to only print in black but can not find a setting to have this fixed in the settings,

I tried to locate the printer driver HP Laserjet 4300 -Gutenprint v5.1.3 but could not find any reference to it on the HP site under OSX

Does anyone have a new driver that allows printing in B&W that is available, or can give me a link to download that Gutenprint driver???

Thanks for your help

David

HP Recommended

I go back a few pages on this post w/the ppl who learned that multiple colors were being combined to make black, even though there was plenty of black left and all that horror.  I think it was the Gutenprint workaround that saved me the trouble.  I have virtually no color in my color print cartridges and just avoid printing color; I print everything in grey scale even if it's color.  (It's just not worth it.)  

I just got a new Mac mini and getting it connected to my printer, I was afraid I would have to go through the whole rigamarole again, but apparently, with adequate black ink and almost zero color, it's printing fine in black...using HP's latest print driver.  Maybe this problem was resolved in the latest iteration of the driver.  Maybe someone at HP was listening.  Just maybe.... 

HP Recommended

Found Black Cartridge only.

Go to Paper Type/Quality.

Color options will appear below, in small script. Click drop down, select grayscale, the under black cartridge only will become an option.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended
How do you set the printer or phone to always print black via AirPrint from iphone5 or iPad?
HP Recommended

Really I will restrain myself - but what's worse than the out an out theivery by HP - forcing us to buy expensive color ink, or, alternatively, to buy two seperate printers for our printing needs - is the horrific dishonestly displayed by the HP employees on this board. Lies, lies, lies. There is no technical reason in the world why printing in black and white requires the use of color ink. There wouldn't be under ANY circumstances, unless the printer was DESIGNED to use the more expensive ink. But what adds insult to injury is the fact that EVEN PRINTING IN GREYSCALE, black ink only, is not possible if a color cartridge is empty. That could ONLY be the case if the printer is programmed to do so soley in order to rip off customers.

What a disgrace. How ANY HP employee can sleep at night is beyond me. I will NEVER buy another HP product under ANY circumstances, and I will tell my friends to avoid doing so also and why. Theives and liars - and that's putting it politely.

HP Recommended

I would add that I have a 6600. Maybe the 6500 doesn't have this problem. All the more proof that this is a design feature to rip off customers.

Disgraceful.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.