Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet 8600 Pro and wish to scan to email from the printer and wish to change the default resolution setting.   I would like to change the default scan resolution so I dont have to remember to change it every time I scan.  

If I change it with the HP Windows Printer Assistant software it only seems to change the resolution for this time and only from the computer not at the printer.  

Is it possible to change the scan resolution settings at the printer? I cant find detail in the manual or on the printer console.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

bvlusa,

Open the Icon labeled Officjet Pro 8600 on your desktop, and then click on Scan a Document or Photo. When the Scan application window opens you can change the Resolution from the drop down menu.

8600 Scan Res.jpg

I hope this helps.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I'm trying to change the preset resolution from 200 dpi to 300 dpi. I have read these forums and when I click on the Officejet 8600 pro on my computer it just brings up the area to scan. I cannot readust the dpi. I want to attach a screen shot of the screen I get, b/c I cannot figure out how to do that. 

Please help!

HP Recommended

Hello tgib12.

I understand you are trying to change the resolution settings when scanning a document on the computer. Do you have the full feature software installed on your computer?

Did you install this software from the HP website or the CD?

When you are scanning a document from the computer, what type of file extension are you using? (JPEG, PDF, OCR)

If you take a look at Boston_RDSX post above, you will see an example of the HP scan box.

Please verify this information and I will assist you further. Have a great night! :generic:

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I have the HP Officejet Pro 8600 and an iMac with 10.7.5. I want to change the scan resolution.

Like tgib12, (12-04-2013), I cannot locate the HP Scan settings window shown in this thread. I saw the response by Cheetah12 (8-13-2014), asking if that person had installed the HP software. I've been using my Officejet 8600 Pro for several months. I assume I installed the software from the CD, because I couldn't be using the printer without doing so.  Is that correct?

I, too, tried to post a screenshot of the HP file in Applications. Doesn't work to drag-drop, so I'll just list what I see in the

Hewlett-Packard file: Device Utilities (firmware updater, setup assistant); HP Product Improvement Study; HP Scan; HP Uninstaller; HP Utility; HP Wireless Print Center.webloc. That's it.  I see no icon labeled Officejet Pro 8600 on my desktop. Only when I open "scan" in the applications do I get an "HP Scan" icon in my doc.

Can you tell from this info why I can't find the options to change the default scan resolution? Thanks.

HP Recommended

This question has been asked many times on the forum - and not directly answered.  The answer seems to be to open the HP Printer Assistant, then the Scan a Document screen, then change the resolution.  I've done this, and if I select the scan button, it works for that scan only - it does not change the setting on the printer.  I am trying to change the setting on the printer.  How do I save the settings on the printer?  I do not see a button to in either the printer menu or the Printer Assistant menu to allow me to save settings.

HP Recommended

It took me a minute but it is hiding in plain sight -_-

Go to scan to your email (from the printer)

now change the settings to what you wish the defaults to be.

****BEFORE leaving that screen*****  go to the bottom of that page and there will be a tab on the second page...... "Set As New Defaults"   click that then hit "yes"

now your printer will scan/email you the settings you have set by default

Cheers guys!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.