Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello guys!

I have been working on this issue for a few weeks. I guess i broke down and deciced to contact y'all. So the issue is that I have a customer using an HP Officejet 8610. They connect to the server (the one I host) via RDP. I can detect the printer on the server (it is being forwarded off of the client's local network) and move print jobs to the print queue. They are then moved to the client's print queue, they complete (the print jobs clear out, they aren't stalled) but nothing is printed. There are no errors being recorded in Event Viewer. I searched online and tried both of these suggestions:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/RDP-printing-with-Officejet-8600/td-p/...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05368413 (Link Updated 05/01/2017)

To no avail. I then did a Webex meeting with my client, to troubleshoot the issue on their side:

> I tired both suggestions, no cigar. The settings matched and the diagnosis
tool wasn't compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. (My side. nothing was being reported on her side.)

> I verified that she can print locally.

>I verified that the server and client are using the same HP Officejet 8610
driver.

> I verified that the server and client are using the printer over the same
port.

No printing still. I can see the printer..

> I installed the universal printer drivers on both server and client:
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=4157320&spf_p... (PCL6 was the version I choose)

Still no printing.

> I setup two new printers, one on the client's side & one on the server
side. I made them use HP Universal Driver PCL 6 (v5.9.3). I had them
communicate
over the same ports as the latter step. I tried then to first print a test page
from the client side.

Bingo! Got printing. but.. the catch, it was only printing symbols and wouldn't
stop. We had to disconnect the printer. The driver may be incompatible. Don't
know where to turn from here.

I then contacted HP's Server Support. Michael was nice and told me that he doesn't support printers; he did listen to my troubleshooting steps and logic. He thought they were soild. I was then transferred to the Printer department. I spoke with a T1 for a moment. After being placed on hold five times, I joked if I could talk to a T2. She said that wasn't possible but she could get me a a supervisor. I spoke with Jason. He suggested using PCL3 or using this fourm. I couldn't find the PCL3 drivers (They aren't offered on this page, might be too old; http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?javax.portlet.begCacheT...

What is my next step?

Server OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
Client OS: Windows 7 x64
Protocol: Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Kind of has the symptoms of a incompatible print driver.  You have confirmed that the printer redirection feature on your print server/RDP client is enabled.  Otherwise you wouldnt get that gibberish printed out with your most recent test.

Instead of using a UPD PC6 you might want to try PCL5 or PostScript.  Perhaps one of those drivers would have better luck.  As you noted in your post you need to make sure that both the local client and the print server have the same print drivers available to them otherwise the printer redirection feature will not work. 

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Having the exact same issue - I was going crazy until I read your post.  Were you able to successfully resolve this? 

We are attempting PCL5 and PS universal drivers tomorrow - if that doesn't work we are going to likely configure the printer as an IP printer if we are unsuccessful.

HP Recommended

Hey Man,

I had problems too.. I think that this driver had problems..

I was almost crazy, when i thought that the old printer was HP 8600 and HP 8610 is the newer.. After this, i installed the printer using driver of HP OJ 8610, and this resolve my problem..

The printer has just PCL3.. (not PCL5 and PCL6)..

But this resolved my problem, and i wish that resolve your problem too.

HP Recommended

Same issue here.  Windows 7 PC with HP 8610 at home remoting into Windows 7 Pro PC at the office, everything looks fine, just doesn't print.  

ekrupa, I appreciate the thoroghness of your troubleshooting steps and can confirm I have taken all the same steps.  One thing I did notice is that the Embedded Web Server has a 'Job Management' feature and I can actually see all the jobs showed up there as 'Completed.'  When I tried to clear the queue, I got an error that it could not cancel the jobs.  I wonder if the print jobs are making it from the Remote PC to the Local PC and to the printer, and that is where they are finally getting rejected

HP Recommended

Alingsongs,

I'm confused by which driver you installed that resolved your problem.  You state that you installed "using driver of HP OJ 8610" and that it resolved your issue.  That is the driver I'm using.  That is also the printer I'm using.  I have installed the SAME driver on both the local and remote PC.

@alinsongs wrote:

Hey Man,

I had problems too.. I think that this driver had problems..

I was almost crazy, when i thought that the old printer was HP 8600 and HP 8610 is the newer.. After this, i installed the printer using driver of HP OJ 8610, and this resolve my problem..

The printer has just PCL3.. (not PCL5 and PCL6)..

But this resolved my problem, and i wish that resolve your problem too.

HP Recommended

I confirmed that when I print from the remote PC, the job shows up in the Local PC print queue and says "spooling -> Printing -> printerd" then drops off the queue.  In the HP Embedded Web Server, under Tools -> Job Management -> Job Monitor, the print job does NOT show up.  Local print jobs submitted on the local PC do print and show up in the Job Monitor.

Other details:  I'm using the latest firmware (Version FDP1CN1416AR), the latest driver (32.3), and the printer is connected over wireless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Same here... Printing local - no problem. Printing via RDP: document shows up in the printing queue, then leave it but nothing is printed. BUT when i login via RDP as administrator, the print comes out the printer. When i use another printer (not a HP printer) everything is fine so it must be a problem with the driver of the 8610...

HP Recommended

Same problem here...

Tried all upd drivers... still not working....

Local Printing - OK

RDP - send to local pc, but nothing came out of the printer...

PCL 6 - start print and just stop when printer is disconected.
PCL 5 - print the document but with strange charset and symbols.
POSTSCRIPT - same as PCL 6

help us HP!!!

HP Recommended

Hello,

It works with the basic printer drivers 8600

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.