Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have Windows 7 64 bit. I have the HP OfficeJet Pro L7780. I used to have the J6480 but it stopped working. I lost my business  because I purchased HP computers and printers and had Vista. My business was Internet Market Research. When I invested over $20K on the business I also invested on new computer's and printers in order to be using state of the art and to help my productivity. Instead, nothing worked. I spent over a year with having to send the computers in for repair and have the laptop remade 4 times. Then my desktop literally blew up. My printer stopped working. They swapped it for this one.

Finally I lost my home and now I live in Mexico. It was the only place I could afford rent on a decent sized house to hold my furniture. I wanted to keep some of what I had earned over the last 46 years of my life. Most of my furniture was damaged on the move here.

So, now I am here and need to change my address in order to get my debit card through my bank. Well, they need a scanned image of my signature in order to process the change of address. I can't get it to them because my printer doesn't work scanning. I can't pay bills without my debit card, rent or buy grocery's because this is the only way for me to get money. 

I have tried all of the patches, re-installs, everything. To say that I will just buy a different product is not possible. I can't afford to. Am I harboring a lot of anger against HP. You bet. If I was in the states and had the means and wasn't concerned about the circumstances I can honestly say that I would want to destroy them. Not the individual people there necessarily but someone for all that I have personally gone through as a direct result of purchasing their products.

There are all of these disclosures about them not being responsible for financial loss ect. ect.... Well, exactly who shouldn be responsible. Is is fair that my life is trashed?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my color laserjet 2840.  I spent nearly 900 bucks and heaven knows the cartridges cost almost as much as the printer does.  Clearly one of the worst printers we have ever owned; however, I'm not in a position to change it as well.  HP needs to solve the windows 7 64 bit problem which apparently many of us users have.  I would suggest that HP, a company that my family works for, take a stronger interest in solving customer problems.  This is a significant one that needs IMMEDIATE ATTENTION BY SOMEONE!!!

HP Recommended

OfficeJet 7210 here! Worked fine for the last two years... Upgraded to Windows 7 64-Bit. "No Scan Options." Really have spent a great deal of time reading blogs, I would have thought HP would take note. TechSupport pointed out I had an old model, I guess a refresh is needed... I am seriously looking at a Xerox All-In-One WorkCenter. Signed- Are You Serious???

HP Recommended

Oh boy, I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Also using Windows 7 x64 with the latest downloadable drivers & patches from hp.com & all updates available from Microsoft. 

After scanning, the HP application always crashes.  I've formatted/reinstalled Windows 7 and the problem still exists.  I've even tried a different PC (Win7x64) and still have the same problem.  Printer is connected via wireles. Everything works - except the crashing after every scan.  Very frustrating. 

Come on HP...  I'm quickly losing faith.  I didn't ever think I'd have to put "non-crashing scanning application" on my list of requirements for an AIO, but I guess I'm going to have to for my next printer.

hpcrash.jpg

HP Recommended

I was able to make the crash start if I use a direct USB cable connection.  So this crash seems to be related to networking (wireless networking for me specifically). 

Do any of you get this error when using USB or are you all using networking?  If so, is it wired or wireless?

HP Recommended

My 2840 is on a network.  It is a software issue with HP which they don't deem problematic enough to address or is code for "we don't know how to fix it."  I will never buy another HP product again.  I, like others in this thread, have 1000's invested in HP products and to simply switch, costs too much.  Fortunately my desktop is not hp but my wife's laptop is.  It's been repaired I don't know how many times now.  She's moving to MAC.  We bought a Kodak printer.  Awesome, cheap and the cartridges last much longer...go figure!  When I get a new colorlaser jet product...I'm going to a tall building to throw all my hp printers off!!!

Best of luck to ya'all! 

HP Recommended

I'm of the opinion that HP doesn't care about supporting older hardware with working drivers.  I'm also getting the same application crash with a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit.  It's fairly apparent that they're aware of this issue and unwilling to allocate the resources needed to correct it.  It seems like HP would rather have you buy a new printer ever year or so.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    hpiscnapp.exe
  Application Version:    13.0.0.131
  Application Timestamp:    4a0c0809
  Fault Module Name:    hpotiop5.dll
  Fault Module Version:    100.0.272.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    47d1de66
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    00041ef8
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    0a9e
  Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:    0a9e
  Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

HP Recommended

@HP - Fix this! It's your issue!

From the debugging sessioins I did:

>>>> CPU Registers <<<< @ Crash point

eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=00000e90 esi=00000000 edi=057a3078

eip=055c1ef8 esp=0018fa7c ebp=0018fab0 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na pe nc

cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00010246

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.text:1001373B                 add     esp, 0Ch

.text:1001373E                 cmp     dword ptr [edi+74Ch], 5

.text:10013745                 jz      short loc_10013765                      ;Jump if cmp     dword ptr [edi+74Ch], 5 result=0

From the Debugger:

0:000:x86> dc edi+74ch

056f37c4  00000005

<<<<< Here you set ecx with 00000000 which will lead to the crash!>>>>>

text:10013765                  mov     ecx, [edi+754h]    ;Store edi+754h into ecx. Ecx result in 00000000

.text:1001376B                 call    sub_10041EEE           ;Call sub 10041EEE

From the debugger: 

0:000:x86> dc edi+754h

056f37cc  00000000

<<<<<Crash happens in this routine>>>>

.text:10041EEE                push    ebx                   ; Preserve the value of ebx

.text:10041EEF                 mov     ebx, ArgList     ;Store dword ptr [hpotiop5!DllUnregisterServer+0xd1075 (05655c54)] in ebx

.text:10041EF5                 push    esi                    ; Preserve the value of esi

.text:10041EF6                 mov     esi, ecx             ; Move the value of ecx ’00000000’ into esi :  Result esi=00000000                   

.text:10041EF8                 mov     eax, [esi+104h] ; Move esi+104h into eax : Result eax=104h which is invalid!

Now, why is this taking so long to fix?

/aGo

HP Recommended

I hope they fix this.  

It is definitely an issue with Windows 7 64-bit. The same computer didn't exhibit the issue with Vista 64-bit but has ever since I've upgraded it.  I have NOT witnessed it with Windows 7 32-bit or Windows XP Home.

I will say this: At least the scan operation is successful despite the message.

When I get the crash, which happens after EVERY scan, I just click the 'x' when prompted to 'shut down the program' or 'restart the program' in the crash dialog box.  It does continue to work.

HP Recommended

I hate to say it, but I finally gave in this Christmas and purchased an Epson Workforce 845 All-in-One printer.  This thing rocks - and most importantly, the scanning application under Windows 7x64 doesn't crash.  I'm sorry HP, but I'm moving on. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.