Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6700 Premium
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Every time that you click PRINT, the printer then does a maintenance cycle first and so printing one page takes about 5 minutes.

This totally unacceptable and there must be a way to turn this off. 

A printer is supposed to print so when will HP produce a printer that prints when its asked to?

If I wanted a maintenance device, I would have bought one! 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello dogbender,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you are having an issue with the printer going into a Maintenance cycle every time you attempt to print.

I do have a suggestion for you to try.

Please make sure that you have the printer power cable connected directly to a wall outlet and not a power bar/strip. Here is a document that uses a LaserJet printer as an example but it is meant for HP products in general. Please click on the following link that explains the Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector.

Once the printer is back on, use the on/off button to do a proper power cycle.  This will do a semi power reset on the printer.

Please feel free to write me back at any time if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers,   Smiley Happy

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

My issue is this: why does a printer now, when asked to print 1 page of text, have to check themselves first?

The item is called a "Printer", not a "Self Checker"

This applies to all makes of printer.

All I am asking is how can I stop this continual self testing and using up my expensive ink?

Peter Gillies

HP Recommended

Hi again dogbender,

Are you by chance shutting the printer off at the end of the day or when not in use?   IF so, please do not shut the unit down.  The printer has a built in stand by/sleep mode and when the unit is shut off and then turned back on, it will go through a maintenance  check.  This will not happen when it is woken up from safe /standby mode.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,   :generic:

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

The printer is switched on 24/7.

I also have a Canon, again on 24/7, which does exactly the same thing.

It would be nice to have a printer that actually prints when you ask it to and not take 10 minutes thinking about it.

Both printers are on USB.

Wireless takes longer IF you set them up to work on wireless!

Pete.

HP Recommended

Why wasn't this problem solved or at least an attempt made. I have the same problem and had hoped Google would solve it for me, but insteade Google's first link sent me here to thisd thread.

I have the same problem as the OP. Today I needed a copy of a doc as I was walking out the door and instead had to wait 8 minutes for the 6700 Premium to self check. Really unacceptable. 

My printer is plugged directly into the wall outlet and is never turned off. The two suggestions that were made make no difference. How do you turn off the self check please?

HP Recommended

Hi @macbuz52,

Thanks for reaching out to the forums! I understand that you would like to know how to turn off the maintenance for the printer. I can help you. 

That seems like a long time for the printer to be going through the maintenance.

Are you using Genuine HP Cartridges?

I would suggest updating the printer's firmware: HP Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Firmware.

You can't turn off the printer's maintenance.

NOTE: Ink from the cartridges is used in the printing process in a number of different ways, including in the initialization process, which prepares the printer and cartridges for printing, and in printhead servicing, which keeps print nozzles clear and ink flowing smoothly. In addition, some residual ink is left in the cartridge after it is used. 

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help, please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up". Let me know how you make out. Cheers!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

The cartridges are genuine HP ink cartridges. I followed the download link for the firmware update and noticed that the update is not new for me, it is already installed - I installed that firmware update somewhere in the past. For argument's sake I'll reinstall the firmware.

It's interesting that the "update" is only through Mac OS Mavericks - I mean, there are two more OS's and a third on the horizon (Sierra) that the "update" needs to accommodate.

Now I'm confused!! I haven't reinstalled the firmware yet and decided to print prior to changing anything and the 6700 just spit the document out like it was sitting there waiting - in other words, the 6700 printed immediately, promptly, without pause. smh

It appears I have wasted our time here. My apologies. Thank you.

HP Recommended
You need to connect a google drive to your computer & then put the docs you want to print in the drive. Then access the doc on the printers drive app and print. No offline BS and no maintenance.
HP Recommended
You need to connect a google drive to your computer and printer both & then put the docs you want to print in the drive. Then access the doc on the printers drive app using the printers touch screen and print from there. No offline BS and no maintenance.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.