Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I get the scanner symbol shortcut to my desktop?  Without it I have to go to the printer and manually scan items which is annoying.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi summerman,

I'd like to help you get the scanner shortcut on your desktop. What operating system do you have on the computer, and which version, Mac or Windows? Please also let me know which printer you have; How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

With this information I will be able to assist you, thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have windiows  8   HP Officejet Pro  8600 Printer    

HP Recommended

Hi summerman,

Please use the following instructions to create a shortcut of the scan software.

1. Touch the Windows Logo key on the keyboard
  2. On the Start/Tile screen, type Officejet
  3. Click on the HP Officejet 8600 icon, this will open the HP Printer Assistant
  4. Double click 'Scan a Document or Photo', the HP Scan opens

With the scan program open you can create a short cut to the program on the taskbar. To create a shortcut, right click on the icon at the bottom of the screen on the taskbar and click on 'Pin this program to the taskbar' this would save you from having to launch it through the Printer Assistant in the future.

Please let me know if this resolves your inquiry.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

when I click on the tile screen   I see the word  'start'  but there is NO place to type   officejet   where am I suppose to type this?  

HP Recommended

Hi summerman,

When you touch the Windows logo key, you will see the Start tiles screen, on this screen do not click on anything, just simply start typing what you are looking for.

start tiles.JPG

Your search will default to the Apps category, this is where you will find the 8600. Here is an example of what it will look like.

search Windows 8.JPG

Source - I got these images when I did a Google search and selected images.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have a Windows 8 system and would like to put a scanning short cut on my desk top

HP Recommended

Hi fastboat1,

What happened when you followed the instructions from Message 4 ?

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Also works with Windows 10.

HP Recommended

I am new to Windows 10 and need to know how to put my printer scanner to desktop for easier access.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.