Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I changed my color ink cartridge (a 75XL) on Monday, 4/16/12, and everything printed fine on Monday.  I shut off my HP Pavilion Laptop and printer on Monday evening.  Tuesday, 4/17/12, I started working on my laptop and when I tried to print the printer's little screen says "Incompatible Ink Cartridge(s) and the monitor of my laptop says  "The following cartridge has a problem:  Black Ink Cartridge".  I had kept the black ink cartridge in (a 74XL) because it still has plenty of black ink in it.  I have removed both the color and black cartridges, made sure the contact point with the printer is clean, made sure that both cartridges have ink in them and that they are placed in the correct locations (black cartridge on the right and color cartridge on the left).  I don't know why I'm getting these messages and why the printer won't print when it did print on Monday after changing the color cartridge.  Both ink cartridges are XL's, however they are not identical. The black ink cartridge is longer horizontally (stick's out toward the printer cartridge door) further than the color ink cartridge.  Both are the same vertically/in height.  Both cartridges are the "XL" type.  I tried downloading and using the diagnostic tool, and it resulted in saying on the monitor of my laptop that there was no problem with the printer.  Can an HP agent contact me and help solve this mystery.  It's very frustrating as I use only genuine HP products (including both ink cartridges); and if I were to buy new cartridges, how do I know this same problem wouldn't occur?  Help please!  My e-mail is [Personal Information Removed] Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please check the following link for t\s regarding this issue.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01442936

If all t\s has been completed reset to printer to its factory defaults removing cartridges from the printer.

Steps:

• Power Button + Cancel Button Combo
  • Enter special key combo 1[Scan] 3[Copy Color] 2[Copy Black]
  • ‘Support menu’ will be displayed
  • Press the 2[Copy Black] until the display shows ‘Reset Menu’
  • Press the 3[Copy Color] once
  • Press the 2[Copy Black] until the display shows ‘Semi-Full reset’
  • The printer will go off and will power on by itself, else wait for 20 seconds and power on the Printer

Note:

All user settings will be restored.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please check the following link for t\s regarding this issue.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01442936

If all t\s has been completed reset to printer to its factory defaults removing cartridges from the printer.

Steps:

• Power Button + Cancel Button Combo
  • Enter special key combo 1[Scan] 3[Copy Color] 2[Copy Black]
  • ‘Support menu’ will be displayed
  • Press the 2[Copy Black] until the display shows ‘Reset Menu’
  • Press the 2[Copy Black] until the display shows ‘Semi-Full reset’
  • The printer will go off and will power on by itself, else wait for 20 seconds and power on the Printer

Note:

All user settings will be restored.

HP Recommended

I followed the steps below as well as I could.  The responses from my printer weren't quite as listed  As far as I could tell it would only reset the language.  It still says the cartridge is incompatible and it won't print the alignment page or anything else.

HP Recommended

I was going crazy with the "cartridges not detected" message, but finally I used DevRao's advice on the secret menu and through much messing around, I managed to get the printer back to normal. I think I went to Menu and somehow to Print Test or something. Frankly, I'm sorry I didn't really follow what I was doing because it was difficult to figure out how to maneuver in there. I did do the reset thing, but also did some other things. Anyway, I can't really mark this solved because I don't know how I did it, but I feel like a genius! And I will never turn my printer off again.

HP Recommended

Hi LVSue,

Its good to know the issue has been solved. When you remember the steps that you have done please repost so it would be easy for others facing this issue.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

I followed the detailed instructions to get rid of the "incompatible cartridges" message to no avail.

The subset menu did not appear.

HP Recommended

I followed the directions above, printer is stuck on system configuration menu. Please help.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi dsapitro,

Please press the copy black button to select resets menu.

HP Recommended
Ok. did that. now what? I really appreciate your help!
HP Recommended

Hi,

After you get system configuration menu did you press copy black button? This displays resets menu, select semi full reset by pressing same copy black button and press OK

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.