Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet 2420dn

Hi!

I replaced the cartridge in a LaserJet 2420dn, and the printer seems to recognize the replacement cartridge, but after a bit, a message appears on the control panel display, "Install black cartridge." At first, I was trying to install a used (not spent) cartridge that had been installed in a 2430dtn. I then tried a new cartridge with the same result.

With a quick search, I found the following recommendation for this problem:

• Remove the left cover and inspect grounding contact lever.
  • Reseat the grounding contact lever hinge on chassis, and strap it to chassis using a cable tie.

I removed the left cover on the 2420dn and the grounding contact lever / assembly appears to be in order. I also removed the left cover on the 2430dtn for comparison's sake. With the left cover removed, I removed and installed several different cartridges and observed the ground contact--it appears to make a solid connection to any of the cartridges installed.

If I re-install the originally installed cartridge (has some life remaining), the cartridge is recognized correctly and I can print. All other cartridges I've tried result in the "Install black cartridge" message.

The 2420dn has the latest firmware available, 08_120_4.

A few questions:

Any ideas what might cause this and what is a good next step for troubleshooting or eliminating certain problem sources?

When a cartridge is installed in a printer, does the printer store anything in the cartridge memory that could "lock" the cartridge to that specific printer? I've never heard of this and I don't really think that's what is happening here (I also tried a new cartridge), but had to ask... 🙂

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@davidzuts wrote:

Have you tried a new OEM toner cartridge...If all else fails and you have the option to keep printer even when the toner reads as empty, then just move the chip from the old toner that seems to work fine to one of the new toners and see if the new toner now works...

I tried a brand-new oem HP cartridge (Q6511x). I had to break the plastic tab and pull out the plastic "ribbon". I also moved the chip from the (nearly spent) non-oem cartridge that has consistently worked, to the oem cartridge. This made no difference--the new oem cartridge still didn't work. I had previously unsuccessfully tried several cartridges, including a new non-oem MICR cartridge. Just by visually inspecting the non-oem and oem cartridges, I'm baffled why one worked and the other didn't. The cartridges appear practically identical structurally. As previously stated, I observed several installed cartridges with the left cover removed and the grounding contact appeared to make a solid connection with each cartridge.

After implementing a cable tie fix, I tested the new oem cartridge with it's original chip, successfully. I used quantity 3, "daisy-chained" cable ties. For anyone else experiencing similar/identical symptoms, I make no guarantee that this is the best way to implement a cable tie fix or that this will resolve the problem(s) you're experiencing. But hopefully someone finds this helpful. See pics below.

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-001.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-002.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-003.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-004.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-005.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-006.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-007.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-008.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Very nice post, thanks for sharing your discoveries with us.

> Any ideas what might cause this and what is a good next step for troubleshooting or eliminating certain problem sources?

Printer design.  Sometimes parts are designed in a way that they can naturally seperate overtime or from repeated cartridge replacement.  Adding a quick fix with a cable tie is an easy repair that will alleviate those problems as you have documented.  These are fairly common on other printers too but usually is more of a problem on the cartridge as opposed to the printer.

> does the printer store anything in the cartridge memory that could "lock" the cartridge to that specific printer?

Not to my knowledge on any models I've worked with.  We swap cartridges around between similar models all the time as a simple and basic troubleshooting step to help us identify if its a cartridge or printer problem.  Its still a best practice to see if the problem follows the cartridge to new printers or stays with the original printer.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

@John_Getzke wrote:

Very nice post, thanks for sharing your discoveries with us.

Adding a quick fix with a cable tie is an easy repair that will alleviate those problems as you have documented.

Hi John,

Thank you for the response. Do you have any photos of what this should look like, or can you provide a detailed description? I can experiment with it, but I wasn't quite sure what specifically should be cable tied to the chassis.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Have you tried a new OEM toner cartridge.  Each toner has a memory chip which is written to when first installed and keeps data on usage and toner left.  When you move a toner cartridge from one machine to another the information is supposed to follow the toner cartridge, but sometimes the chip becomes corrupt and all sorts of things happen.  If all else fails and you have the option to keep printer even when the toner reads as empty, then just move the chip from the old toner that seems to work fine to one of the new toners and see if the new toner now works which is probably will.

HP Recommended

@davidzuts wrote:

Have you tried a new OEM toner cartridge...If all else fails and you have the option to keep printer even when the toner reads as empty, then just move the chip from the old toner that seems to work fine to one of the new toners and see if the new toner now works...

I tried a brand-new oem HP cartridge (Q6511x). I had to break the plastic tab and pull out the plastic "ribbon". I also moved the chip from the (nearly spent) non-oem cartridge that has consistently worked, to the oem cartridge. This made no difference--the new oem cartridge still didn't work. I had previously unsuccessfully tried several cartridges, including a new non-oem MICR cartridge. Just by visually inspecting the non-oem and oem cartridges, I'm baffled why one worked and the other didn't. The cartridges appear practically identical structurally. As previously stated, I observed several installed cartridges with the left cover removed and the grounding contact appeared to make a solid connection with each cartridge.

After implementing a cable tie fix, I tested the new oem cartridge with it's original chip, successfully. I used quantity 3, "daisy-chained" cable ties. For anyone else experiencing similar/identical symptoms, I make no guarantee that this is the best way to implement a cable tie fix or that this will resolve the problem(s) you're experiencing. But hopefully someone finds this helpful. See pics below.

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-001.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-002.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-003.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-004.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-005.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-006.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-007.jpg

LJ24xx-cable-tie-fix-008.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.