Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We have a Laserjet M401dn that goes into power saving mode and will not wake up when it recieves a print job. The user must turn the printer off and on again to get it to respond. I have tried updating the firmware and reset the printer to default settings.

Users connect to the printer through a share on a Server 2008 server using Hp Universal Printing PCL 6 (v5.5.0) driver.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this and how to fix it?

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

Hello ajmorgan , I am an HP Support Engineer. I am speaking for myself and not for HP but I believe that I can assist you.

Is the M401dn connected to your network wireless or wired?  If wireless, what is the brand / model of your router / switch?

HP Recommended

The printer is hooked up to a wired network with a static ip address set inside the printer.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response ajmorgan,

Just for clarification, when the device fails to wake and print the network jobs will interacting with the device control panel awaken the device?  When the user walks to the device and interacts with the control panel what is the device response?  Is the power LED blinking while in this state?  I am trying to get an idea of the state of the machine while in sleep mode.

Once the device enters this state can you successfully communicate with the device via EWS or PING it successfully?

I checked our device in the Lab by connecting via EWS: System tab > EcoSMART link

The default "Sleep/Auto Off After" is 30-minutes and "Wake on these events" are all checked.

NOTE: If no wake events are selected, then the power button must be pressed to
turn the printer on.

HP Recommended

The printer's power button lights up for a flash and then turns off again. The touch panel is unresponsive and I can not ping or access the web interface to the printer once it has the issue. Opening the paper tray or taking the toner out do not wake it up either. It must be powered off by the button or by unplugging the power cable.

I double checked the sleep settings and they are still set to the default.

HP Recommended

I have this exact same issue, brand new printer( HP LJ Pro 400 M401dn ), out of the box, testing it before putting it beside its user. I thougt the error was due to the DHCP lease expiring when the printer was sleeping, but since you already tried a static ip I am at a loss.

I flashed it with the latest firmware, dated 20131214 before I noticed this problem.

When the problem occurs, which happend the first night:

Powerbutton flashing, Controlpanel unresponsive, will not answer to ping. Tried pushing the powerbutton once, Nothing.

Held down powerbutton, waited a bit, pushed powerbutton again, printer starts normally.

Please advise.

HP Recommended

Hello ajmorgan and lasseponken, I am an HP Support Engineer. I am speaking for myself and not for HP but I believe that I can assist you.

I want to thank you both for your detailed responses to the questions.  Based upon your response and our review of the M401 devices here I am requesting that you contact HP Support reporting this issue.

HP Recommended

Hello

If the printer goes to the sleep mode

Go to the printer menus

Touch the setting tab(spanner tool pic)

Scroll to the system setup

Then energy settings

Then auto power down

Then wake event: turn it ON

Try and check once

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nothing happens when you touch the display.

As you can see from this video I made:

As you can see, the printer is unresponsive and has stopped responding to ping in this state. Printer offline in "Devices and Printers".

More than $400 wasted.

HP Recommended

Hello lasseponken, I am an HP Support Engineer. I am speaking for myself and not for HP but I believe that I can assist you.

Appreciate the detail in the video!  We want to move on this issue you are reporting sooner than later so please contact HP Support and log a ticket so it can be properly investigated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.