Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Two years have gone and still no fix. 

Just bought this cool printer, but the blinking is killing my wife - can you PLEASE fix it!

Besides that, it's a great printer!

/stixix

HP Recommended

Hi! @stixix, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you see blinking lights on your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Does the issue persist when you make a copy from your printer?

Please provide the operating system you are running on your PC to assist you better.

Try updating the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Find the link to update the printer firmware.

Try resetting the printer and check if it helps.

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
   NOTE:
HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
OMG.
HP Recommended

That MrRobot might be the stupidest robot I have ever met. This could almost be front page material for Reddit.

HP, please do better!

HP Recommended

Mr. Robot,

Are you kidding me.  Really????

Steps to reproduce this issue that has spanned 6 pages on this forum:

1.  Remove printer from box and remove any packaging

2.  Plug one end of the black power cable into the printer

3.  Plug the other end of the power cable into the wall

4.  Turn the printer on by pressing the power button

5.  Watch the printer power button blink (white) ever 3 seconds (or so)  <=== THIS IS THE PROBLEM

Tell us Mr. Robot how to make the light not blink at all!!!!!  <=== THIS IS THE SOLUTION EVERYONE WANTS

No need for software, patches, turning on your computer, or any additional intelligence.  And yes a firmware patch would help if HP Support actually made one to help resolve this issue.  That is what everyone is asking for!!!!!!!!

ASIDE:  With responses like these it is no wonder this has never been fixed and why offshore is such a problem.

Looking forward to your support to fix this issue.

Kind Regards,

--Nikolaos

HP Recommended

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

These forums have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO helpful.  Oh, except I still have the problem, but now I have dozens of spam emails in my inbox and have had the pleasure of revisiting this piece of crap website repeatedly only to find that not only has the problem NOT been fixed, as well as the distinct impression HP is actually trolling me.

HP Recommended
Their is never going to be a fix for this problem. It is a design flaw!
HP Recommended

@nikolaos2012, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts getting back to us.

This is a feature of the printer when in standby mode the power light will blink to notify that the printer is in standby mode. When touching the display the power light goes back to a solid light. There is no way of changing this feature.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Switching to another brand of printer could probably fix the issue, since HP thinks a constant blinking light is a cool feature.

HP Recommended

Came to this forum to hopefully find a hidden firmware setting to turn off the blinking standby light.  Two things happened.

1) Found out my printer is a 2 year old model, which is dissapointing.
2) Found out tech support is amazingly unhelpful.

I'm so dissapointed with this blinking light that I wish there was some way I could notify the CEO that they should make the entire R&D team sleep with their creation in their bedroom so they can learn how stupid this design was. Just like several other posts have said, the printing quality and setup is a breeze with this model... But the blinking light makes you want to throw it into a trash compactor.   It's unreal that in 2015 (now 2017) engineers at HP don't understand simple (UX) User Experience concepts.

All that said, tape isn't a terrible solution because the front panel pops down revealing the LED -- so you can apply tape behind the panel without it making it look ugly.  I have 1 layer of painter's tape, and 1 layer of duct tape and YOU CAN STILL SEE THE ANNOYING LIGHT!   It's a travesty that they designed it with a blinking light in the first place, it's pure evil that they installed a LED light that is bright enough to be a phone camera flash bulb.

My biggest mistake was buying this before I needed it and waiting 15 days to open the box and install it, I am unable to return it now, which I want to do just on principle.   I don't like rewarding a company that is too big to hear the complaints and fix them.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.