Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It sounds like there is a bug of some sort that we cannot print more than two pages.  This did not happen when I first obtained the printer but has been happening in the past month or so.  Perhaps one of the latest updates now conflicts with the program.  Rather than frustrate us further with trying your previously tried and posted work-arounds, could someone check into what has happened and send a new driver?  Very frustrating when you are heading out to a meeting and cannot print what you need to take with you.

HP Recommended

This is the error message I get when I try this solution. I am running Windows 8 (or 8.1) not sure.

HP Recommended

@KD97 wrote:

...could someone check into what has happened and send a new driver?  Very frustrating when you are heading out to a meeting and cannot print what you need to take with you.

I wholeheartedly agree! After much frustration and wasted paper & ink, I realize now I can't use my new 4500 for alot of the work I purchased it for. Multi-page printing is something I should have kept my old deskjet 500 to do, I never expected this problem.

It prints a few of the pages, then just trails off, giving a quick 'cancelling' message and otherwise both the printer and pc pretend everything was a success.

This is particularily disturbing. How can it be that both the PC and the printer seem to have no awareness of where this mysterious 'cancel' instruction is coming from? Should there not be some sort of basic handshaking going on, like that which has been used for several decades in various devices that need to communicate to each other?

Any number of people can reproduce this failure on command, and as it is a function that printers have been able to do for several decades reliably, it does seem to make sense that this issue should be made a high priority for the HP engineers, perhaps primarily because it leaves people like me with little more to say to other computer users, "I dont know, HP doesnt know, it just wont complete printing jobs, it just wastes ink and paper endlessly"

This is not a good situation.

Specifically, using Windows 8.1, I pressed [F1] and choose [Getting Started] and the choose [Mouse and Keyboard: What's new], and boy oh boy let me tell you here and now, I was returned with a nice long reference document in which I might use to familiarize myself with things and whatnot, and BAM!!! then it hit me!!! If I was to print this out, holy salami that would be useful!!!

So I then carried right on ahead and proceeded to press the little tiny print symbol in the upper right hand corner of this glorious document of shortcut heaven, because now with my new HP printer I could simply print this document out!

A window paradoxically named 'Print' opened, and I immediately choose 'HP ENVY 4500' as the printer, and then clicked the [Preferences] button, which opened another window named 'Printing Preferences'. As I wanted to spend money on food and shelter, and I already had enough scrap newsprint for the woodstove, I choose to pick some settings to reduce the amount of materials such as ink and paper, while attempting to pick settings to maximize quality. Not many choices were made, but I will detail them in the event that someone would like to make an attempt at failed printing in this manner.

paper type: plain

quality: best

pages per sheet: 2

borderless: off

both sides: short edge

max dpi: yes

booklet: left binding

As fasr as I can tell, those setings would deilver the most efficient and highest quality printouts for me. If I was younger, I might change it to 4 pages per sheet. In any case nothing exotic going on here, the pages that DO end up printed look great, right up until the words and graphics just fade off across about half an inch, as if it suddentl just ran out of ink, which it did not.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

We are still working on the real solution for these problems with Partial Printing and Printer being offline.

In the meantime I have put together a complete document of how to setup your printer so you will not see these issues and still use its full functionality.

The steps needed are described in this document - c04442342

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended
Hi John,

There appears to be some confusion yet regarding the incomplete printing issue. It would appear that there is a separate issue regarding the failed printing, that is unrelated to static ip and DNS address settings.

I suspect now this might explain why this issue persists. It may be that HP is not aware that there is infact a problem deeper than simple connectivity.

To reiterate, testimony can be cited in this forum of users experience general connectivity issues, and then also a separate group (myself included), who have no connectivity issues or such, an yet are unable to, and only, print multiple pages documents.
HP Recommended
...having said that, after carefully following the steps in aforementioned document, I have since successfully printed a test document which previously and consistently would not complete printing, and also successfully completely printed a second and longer document.

Thanks! I cannot imagine why my previous attempts to correctly configure my printer failed, but it may be useful to ship these devices in dumb manual dhcp mode for the user to set, or perhaps a learn and lock type of arrangement again forcing static ipa, at least until dynamic state is bulletproof.

Cheers and thanks again!
HP Recommended
And third printout of 30 pages failed, and since it prints the last page first, I can't just add another print job to finish off. The fireplace is hot this morning!
HP Recommended

Hi, I was having printing issues with my new ENVY 4500 printer. 

Prints cancelled without completing. 

I followed you instruction but no change.

I have however changed over to BT Infinite broadband and as such have changed my router to a Home hub 5.

Amazingly the printer now works fine, no issues at all, apart from a pile of scrap paper and empty cartrages trying to get it working. Cheers.

HP Recommended

all of this does not work we tried everything. we have two hp 4630 half page printers. please either have a one click fix or accept these non windows 8 compatable printers back please. The only way we can get almost a whole page to print is to set the paper to legal size.

HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

After working with Microsoft on this issue, which was root caused as a problem with the Microsoft WSD Port which HP are using to communicate with the printer.

Microsoft have created a new version of the WSD service which I recommend you install.

This update can be found here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000461

From our testing this update helps cure this problem.

JonW

I work for HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.