Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've been using my scanner a lot lately and all of sudden, has these multi-color vertical lines all through the scan.  You can't even see what has been scanned.  Is this an easy fix?  

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Palmcricket794,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your question in our Support Forum. Regarding your Scanning issues with multi colored lines, what model or printer is this happening with?

Typically it is caused by a power related issue or a failure in the scanner, since you have not mentioned an error message a resolution should be available. If you have the power for the printer connected into the surge protector or power bar, remove it and connect into a wall outlet directly. HP has put together this document: Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector to help explain why you should do this.

I will keep an eye open for your reply Smiley Happy

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Is there any other way this can be resolved, short of replacing the device?

HP Recommended

@ET55

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand there are Multicolor lines when scanning,

Don't worry I have a few steps that should help:

Issue:

Problems or issues may arise when an HP LaserJet series printer is connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), a power strip, or a surge protector.

Solution

Plug the printer directly into a wall outlet to test. The surge protector or UPS may not be allowing sufficient voltage through to the printer.

If it is necessary for the product to be connected to the above-mentioned devices, consider the following items:

• There are many UPS configurations and load conditions that can affect proper printer operation. Depending on these configurations or load conditions, printer functionality cannot be predicted.

• No damage to current HP LaserJet products will occur, but, depending on their particular UPS configuration, the printer may or may not operate properly.

• Printing while on a UPS battery backup is not recommended because of the large power requirements of HP LaserJet products.

• If the HP LaserJet printer is not operating properly and power line conditions are suspected, try a different circuit (a different wall plug located away from the current one), or try removing it from the UPS.

This is regardless of the printer model, though it specifies laserjet at certain parts of the post,

Either way, I would appreciate if you could reply or post with the product information in the future.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried your suggestions, but the vertical line still appears when I scan and photocopy on my LaserJet.

Anything else I could try?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@ET55

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to contact HP phone support for further assistance.

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am getting a 2 inch wide multicolored line down the middle of the page when I copy or scan, but not when I print.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.