Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

After sitting idle for a period ranging from a few minutes to a few hours, my OfficeJet 8600 loses connectivity with my DI-524 router. When this happens, the 8600 shows an IP of 192.168.0.128 (only IP I have ever seen it show). I cannot print from my Win 7 computer, check ink levels or ping the 8600.

I can cycle power to the 8600 and everything will be fine (at the same IP) until the problem occurs again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would try setting a permanent IP address on the printer.  The router might not know how to deal with the printer going to sleep and might be terminating the connection.  I think setting a permanent IP will fix that.  You might choose an IP address outside of the routers DHCP range. You can check the routers web page to see what that range is of just guess using a high of low IP  (maybe try 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.0.5).

P.S.. It looks like the  DI-524 router is an older router.  Have you updated the firmware on it lately?

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I would try setting a permanent IP address on the printer.  The router might not know how to deal with the printer going to sleep and might be terminating the connection.  I think setting a permanent IP will fix that.  You might choose an IP address outside of the routers DHCP range. You can check the routers web page to see what that range is of just guess using a high of low IP  (maybe try 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.0.5).

P.S.. It looks like the  DI-524 router is an older router.  Have you updated the firmware on it lately?

Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
HP Recommended
How do I set the IP address for the printer?
HP Recommended

I'm going to post a video of manually setting the IP address on the 8600.

Stay tuned.

I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

Here is the video of manually setting the IP address on the 8600.

I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

I had the same problem, and an HP rep solved it for me the following way:

Call your Internet Service Provider and request the following settings on your router:

-enable SSID

-Disable mac filtering

-set channel settings to 11

-set connection mode to connection b and g

-disable dual band connection and leave 2.4 gegahertz frequency enabled

-get the WPA and router's username and password (I don't think this is critical to the printer fix - I think the HP rep was just going to use this info to change the router settings herself - but it's good info to have anyway because an ISP or other rep might ask for it.)

Don't worry if you don't understand the above. Your ISP will understand it and will change your router settings remotely.

After the router settings have been changed remotely by your ISP, turn your 8600 printer OFF; then turn it ON.

Try to print something.

It will hopefully work, but if it doesn't, try downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor (google "HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows" to search for the link to the download page).

When I had the router settings changed and then turned the printer off and back on, I was able to print; I didn't need the Print and Scan Doctor.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I am having hte same problem with my printer.  I have a static IP set in my router (192.168.11.8).  I made sure they were connected throught the same wireless connection (I have several on my router).  But I still lose connectivity.  I was just scanning and printing a few minutes before and in the time it took to dl and install a pdf reader, I lost connectivity.  All of my devices connected to my router have static local IP's.

I also checked and the printer has the correct ip...it is conencted to my router...all looks like it should be...but still no connectivity.

HP Recommended

What are your wireless router settings (WPA2, WEP, No encryption)?

What brand and model of router do you have?

Have you tried connecting temporarily with ethernet just to make sure wireless is causing the issue?

I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

WPA2, it's a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH dual band N router.  I have no probs when I connect wired.  My wireless port on my mobo recently decided to stop working, so I have had to go wireless.  I have found that it aslo does not like it if the computer is wireless and the printer is wired....which doesn't make any sense to me...they are both connected to the same router, so that shouold work.

HP Recommended

The Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH looks like a capable router.  Here are a couple things you can try.  It is best to update the firmware on the router before trying anything else.

I looked through th erouter's manual and found a couple things you could try.

From the WZR-HP-G300NH users manual:

Check to make sure it is not doing isolation (seperation) between the bands and ethernet. 

- Separate feature (Basic config - Wireless - in the web server of the router)

When [Separate] is enabled, wireless devices connected to the AirStation can communicate only with the Internet side, not with each other

Check the value of the Rekey interval (Basic config - Wireless - in the web server of the router)

- Set the update interval for the encryption key as high as it will go (between 0 and 1440 minutes).

I am employed by HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.