Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I try to connect printer to enable apps and eprint it tells me "the printer could not connect to the server.  Check the internet connection.  If required, enter a proxy address ensure the proxy details are correct and retry."  The printer is connected to the wireless.  Where do I find proxy? I'm thinking that my router is older.  Would this matter?

Thank you.

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hello cweezy51,

Although the age of your router could play a part in certain connectivity issues, there are some steps you can try before investing in a new router.

1. Power your printer off and then on by the power button.
  2. Obtain the IP address of the printer on your network.
  3. Input the IP address of your printer in the address bar on an internet browser and press "Enter", this should take you to a page about your printer.
  4. Click on the "Web Services" tab on the top of the page.
  5. Click the continue button and follow the screen prompts to enable Web Services.

If you would like any clarification on any steps, please post again.

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. I have followed the steps to set up eprint, but it says that it is not connected to the network even though I can print from my computer. I have tried to set up from the printer and the printer website, it says that it is not connected and that I may need a proxy. This is a home network, I do not use proxy.

HP Recommended

I am also having issues connecting to eprint. Tried the suggested solution to no avail. Asking for a proxy server, I am also on a home network, no proxy server required.

HP Recommended

Was having same issue. I think I got it figured it out. I ran complete disk setup and web service setup first then went into printer ip and changed to a manual ip setup for my home network. This is when all hell broke loose and couldnt access server error appeared etc.

Uninstalled all on cpu and then restored printer to factory defaults.Restarted printer.

Checked network configuration and current ip of the printer.

Entered ip into windows address bar then made my network ip changes.

After that was complete I then ran setup disk.

It automatically connected to new configured ip setup and ran the full setup of webservices with no issues.

I am now able to access all apps etc. 

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

The same here in Greece.

I can't set it up via printer or P.C.

always failed!!!

HP Recommended

I'm having an issue with the proxy portion.  The user name field will not allow me to include my domain which is typed "domain/username".  It says it's an invalid character.  Is there a way around that?  I have to use a domain in front of the username because of the complex network we are on that is currently "domain1" for some users and "domain2" for other users and they all go through the same proxy server.

HP Recommended

@ poloacuna- I would take out any information that you have entered into the proxy fields. It is not necessary for a home network setup. Instead, I would set up a static IP address and DNS from the printers embedded web server (EWS) to attempt to clear up that error message. I am including a video at the end of this post that shows how to set up the static IP for the printer.
Note:Make sure when filling out the DNS portion of the the page to use the DNS for Google. That information for those fields are:
1. For Preferred enter 8.8.8.8
2. For Alternate enter 8.8.4.4
3. Select apply. You might get a warning saying this could interrupt connection. Make sure to read the entire pop up because clicking the "Ok"button will most likely undo the changes you just made. Here is the link to the video.

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

Your reply states that it is not necessary to enter the proxy information for a home network.  My issue is with the company network I'm on that is using a BlueCoat proxy server.  We have two domains that currently exist within this network.  In order for the proxy server to identify me, I must enter which domain I am on, followed by a "/" and then my username.  This works fine when entered for a web browser trying to connect to the internet but the HP Printer Web Server on the OfficeJet 8600 will not allow me to include the domain with my username typed in the fashion I stated previously.

HP Recommended

@ poloacuna-  Please except my apology on misreading your post. You would need to enter the DNS information and the proxy information through the EWS of the printer. To locate the proxy section in the EWS, locate a tab labeled <b>Network</b> in the EWS, after selecting that tab, there will be a column on the left side of the screen. Look under the section labeled <b>General</b> and  locate Proxy settings in that section and then select it.  Once you have made that selection, you might possibly get a redirection message, click ok and continue to the page. From there you can enter your proxy information.

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.