Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I purchased this printer in Dec 2014 for my wife. The model that was shipped was DOA and we were sent our current one. We also signed up with the Instant Ink Program. This week our cyan 951 ran out and was replaced. Received a "One or more cartridges appear to be damaged" error. After reseating the cartridge a for an hour, and replacing the yellow and magenta it finally was recognized, then the yellow showed damaged after it registered and showed it full. Called HP support and received a replacement yellow today. Inserted it and now both the yellow and cyan are reporting damaged.

I am convinced this model was poorly designed and doesn't represent HP's reputation for having the best printers on the market. Being an HP employee and giving a gift to my wife that was DOA was embarrassing and not acceptable. Now with having this error being showed after replacing the color cartridges for the first time, and needing to print important documents right now is even more unacceptable, not to mention my wife's opinion which I have to now reverse.

Is this model known for having issues and was discontinued for that reason? Has anyone else had this error? I will be calling the support line and wanted to let off some steam before doing so. I hope our customers don't have this kind of experience because they won't be afterwards if they do.

Model: Officejet Pro 8610

Product No: A7F64A

117 REPLIES 117
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  My printer is only 4 months and just changed the cyan cartridges.  I do not know where to go from here but in serious need of my printer.  This is painful.

HP Recommended

Hi,
I can't believe this was posted on 13 August 2015 and HP have not responded to your dilemma in any way.

I am in the middle of sorting out the same problem for a customer.

HP recently sent out an automatic update which occurs as soon as the drivers are installed (see below) and the printer is connected to a computer which is on the Internet.

The problem is that all ink cartridges with the now outdated microchip will not work, whether they are made by HP or another company.

Unfortunately, companies like this seem to think it's okay to change the firmware on an otherwise serviceable printer, before they have created a supply of ink cartridges with the new microchip which the printer needs to see before it will accept the ink cartridge.

Here's an extract of a reply I sent today, to another user with the same problem.

----------------------------------

Generic or Third Party Cartridges will work on your printer as soon as the other manufacturers get the microchip updated to Generation 3 (G3).

HP regularly update the firmware on their customers printers via the Internet connection and this stops the printer recognising all previous versions of ink cartridge microchips.

Unforunately, it could have been avoided by the customer if they chose "Custom Install" instead of "Recommended Install" when installing their purchased printer using the disk provided.
In Custom Install, the customer should only choose the Printer Driver, Scanner Driver & Tools.
HP and other manufacturers have used many ways to hide and disguise the "Automatic Updates", using things like "Online Support" and many other variations of false terminology.

Personally, I normally choose not to use automatic updates for ANY program or appliance, because we live in a world of control via the Internet and Airwaves and if something truly needs an update (fix) for genuine reasons unforseen by the manufacturers, they will contact you and let you know as part of their support duty.

As an example, I have 2 computers connected to the Internet using Windows 8, one set for auto updates and the other set not to check. The one set for updates has changed significantly and uses & manages programs differently, runs slower, starts slower and has to be left switched on for many hours after shutting down while it does its regular updates... Grrrr! The one without, starts fully in 7 seconds (nearly 3 years on) and runs super fast and smooth.
I did this to prove the point of; "if it isn't broke, don't fix it"!

Back on topic:
The "Generic" inks will still work on printers that were not set to Auto Updates and printers not previously connected to the Internet.

The G3 chipped ink cartridge version for HP Officejet Pro 8600 & 8610 printers will be available in a week or two from now, so look for the "G3" to know if it will work.

Go to your computer Control Panel, then select Programs, once fully opened, uninstall all HP printer programs, switch off the printer & disconnect it, then restart your computer. When fully started, reinstall the HP printer drivers from your CD, but choose "Custom Install" and only select relevant drivers (Printer Driver, Scanner Driver & Tools/Toolbox (if you connect to a computer, if not, this is not required).

Unfortunately, in most cases this will not reset the firmware on the printer to allow you to use G1 / G2 cartridges, but it will stop any future automatic firmware updates and so will allow you to use G3 cartridges for the rest of the life of the printer without disruption. Any newer cartridge versions (G4, G5 etc.) produced to keep up with HP firmware updates will all be 'backward compatible', so they will always work with older models and printers not updated.

I hope this helps.

---------------------------------

Unfortunately, HP don't advertise what Version / Generation their ink cartridges are, so you will not know whether or not the HP ink you are about to purchase is going to work on your printer since the firmware was updated.

I just tried 2 new original HP Black inks in a customer's printer and both gave the same "Ink Cartridge Damaged" error message. These are obviously G1 or G2 still being sold on the open market.

I am about to phone HP support (UK) to find out what they think of the situation and what they are prepared to do about it, if I find out any valuable helpful information I will post it in this Q&A forum.

HP Recommended

Wow.  Three months later and HP hasn't answered this question.  I just spent over $100 on four new ink cartridges for my HP OfficeJet Pro 8610--all genuine HP cartridges purchased from reputable stores (two from Staples, two from Best Buy), and now I get a constant error message that the BRAND NEW, GENUINE HP yellow and cyan cartridges "appear to be damaged."  Staples and Best Buy won't take the cartridges back--no returns on open cartridges, and HP doesn't appear willing to address the issue.  The only thing I've gleaned by my Google search is that HP "updated" the firmware on these printers to attempt to stop people from using third-party remanufactured cartridges, and in the process, a lot of "older" production model cartridges from HP's own factories no longer work either.

So, HP--how do I resolve this without spending another dime?  At this point, I consider HP as owing me $127 for four now useless BRAND NEW, GENUINE HP cartridges, and I will buy a Canon or Epson and no longer deal with HP.

Any answers?

HP Recommended

I am dealing with a customers HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer which has the problem of rejecting Black ink cartridges and I replaced 2 failed new 3rd party cartridges with 2 HP brand cartridges, one a Standard and one an XL from 2 different suppliers, both of which were also rejected.

I contacted HP to find out why and was taken through the full printer reset which involves pulling out the power lead and then holding your finger on the power button (at the front) for 30 seconds then releasing, then plugging it back in and pressing the power button as normal to switch it on. However, this made no difference.
I was told to remove the printhead using the lever to the right and to clean the contacts on the printhead and the printer as well as clean the undersid of the printhead where the ink comes out, but none of this made any difference.

They would not say whether or not they had done a firmware update and all the manufacturers are unsure of whether or not they have done one, due to an unpresidented influx of complaints about failed ink cartridges including HP's own brand.
HP will only stick to the printhead requiring replacing and will not undertake any free replacement if the 1 year warranty (purchase date) has expired, their system will automatically block it by its serial number.
Here is the big problem, all these printers seem to be rejecting various cartridges just outside the 1 year warranty period, which suggests that they have either built in obsolescence, built substandard printheads or a firmware update has purposely caused the printheads to no longer work. I know the last one is a conspiracy theory, but Epson were once responsible for using Online Support (SX models) to collect information directly from customers printers and then killed the microchip on any 3rd party cartridge that was detected, this was proven because uninstalling online support solved the problem!
Up until a few days ago, I have been adamant that HP have done a firmware update causing cartridge rejection, but because customers are getting a different variation of failed cartridges, it is possible that they are sending a shut down code to the printhead firmware which shuts down the communication for the colour/colours of the last inks changed, after the printer has had at least 1 years usage.
The only reason I can see for this is the extra revenue from printhead sales.

It would be good if somebody knows an electronics engineer that used to work with these sort of systems and could provide information about this?

[Content Removed]. I think it's too much to accept that all these printheads have failed after 1 year and a month or two and nevertheless, would not say much for the advertised quality of HP products.

If anyone knows of something they did that caused their printer to start accepting the previously failed ink cartridges, they should also post that information here?
You see, on most printers there is a sequence of buttons that can be pressed to perform various maintenance & resetting tasks, even when the printer has only one button as this model does, it can be held for X time, released for X time, pressed X amount of times etc. sometimes with power on, sometimes unplugged and sometimes plugged in whilst holding a button. 

As soon as I find out anything that helps further I will post it here.

HP Recommended

Same issue. printer almost exactly 12 months old. All catridges apparently empty at the same time and replacement cartridges all report as being faulty. Solution: throw your printer away and NEVER buy another HP product as long as you live. Is that an outcome that these bunch of dishonest imbeciles at HP envisaged?

HP Recommended

I am with you. I have different printer model but it hasn't worked since I got it out of the box and my warranty is expired. HP screwed me. 

HP Recommended

[content removed] There tactics seem underhanded at the least.  I have the same issue-I have the 8610.  Cartridges working fine, approx 3/4 full of ink and then BOOM - "cartridge appears damaged"!  I don't think so.  This is typical of all the HP printers I have ever owned.  

HP Recommended
Amazing! Same problem here. Hp brand cartridges just quit working due to Ota update?

Hp, please help us poor folks out that paid for your products and help solve this problem.

Can anyone here recommend a printer brand with a good reputation? I've now been burned by Hp and cannon.
HP Recommended

I have been using HP printers in business and personal use for over 35 years. This new problem with not being able to use remanufactured ink cartridges is just plain B.S.!!!!  HP brand ink cartridges are grossly overpriced and I will not tolerate any company forcing me to use their products.

I will never buy another HP product, period!!!!!!

@6mccann wrote:

[content removed] There tactics seem underhanded at the least.  I have the same issue-I have the 8610.  Cartridges working fine, approx 3/4 full of ink and then BOOM - "cartridge appears damaged"!  I don't think so.  This is typical of all the HP printers I have ever owned.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.