Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I own an All-In-One 8610 Offijet Pro. It was working fine till this day. Suddenly it stopped printing MS Word 2007 documents. It works fine with other applications (Acrobat, Autocad etc).

I unistalled and reinstalled the drivers several times, used the HP Fix application, used the microsoft Fix application, i even tried printing on Office 2013 but nothing happens.

Whenever i try to print a .doc i get a page with some code on it and a second one filled with dark horizontal lines.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @Fatalouch,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the print issues you're experiencing with MS Word documents when printing to your HP Officejet Pro 8610 All-in-One Printer. I understand that you have already done a lot of the recommended troubleshooting steps, and I thank you for including all that information in your post. I'm going to suggest some additional troubleshooting steps here. I know you have already run the uninstall and reinstall of your product multiple times, but please run through the step-by- step instructions below:

Step 1: Uninstall Drivers:

Because you did not indicate what Operating System you're using on your computer, I'm going to provide you the document on how to properly uninstall. Please click on this support document and simply choose the Operating System you're using. If you're not sure on what your Operating System is, refer to: What's my OS?

Uninstalling the Printer Software

Step 2: Clear Temp Folder:

1. Open your Start menu and in the 'search programs and files' box type %temp% and hit enter.
  2. When the Temp folder opens select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard
  3. Once everything is highlighted in the Temp folder select 'Delete' on your keyboard to delete the files within the Temp folder. No files and folders on your actual computer will be removed. This will only delete Temporary files. If a file is still be used by a program on your keyboard you will get the pop up to 'skip' the item.
  4. Once the Temp files are deleted close the window
  5. On your Desktop, right click on the Recycling Bin and select Empty Recycling Bin

Step 3: Reinstall Drivers:

Please select the link below to download the appropriate printer drivers:

HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers

Once you download the driver package allow the download to run.

1. The installer will extract to 100% and then launch the installation screen
  2. Run through the step-by-step installation instructions to reinstall your printer
  3. Once the product is properly reinstalled, please proceed to the next step.

Step 4: Change Driver:

Now that the correct driver is reinstalled I am going to have you change the driver to another Officejet 8600 series driver that should resolve this issue.

Please select the following link for the driver: HP Officejet Pro Basic Print and Scan Driver

1. Allow the driver to download and run it
  2. Once the extraction has completed the installer may launch, please close the installation window
  3. Go to your Start menu and in the 'search programs and files' box type %temp% and hit enter
  4. Once the Temp folder opens, click on the most recent 7z folder. It should include files in it that say OJ8600 or OJ860.
  5. At the top of this folder you will see the file path. It may show something like 'computer - local disk c - users- appdata - local - Temp - 7z. . . .'
  6. Left click on the right hand side of the file path bar at the top and everything should highlight in that bar. Then right click in the bar and copy the highlighted file path.
  7. Close the Temp folder
  8. Click on your Start menu and then select Devices and Printers
  9. In the Devices and Printers folder right click on your Officejet 8610 and left click on Printer Properties
  10. Left click on the Advanced tab
  11. Left click on New Driver
  12. When the New Driver window opens just hit 'next' until you see a list of Manufacturers on the left and a list of Printers on the right.
  13. Click on the 'Have Disk' button on the bottom right
  14. When the 'browse' window opens, simply right click in the file path bar and select 'paste' to paste in the file path we previously copied. Select OK.
  15. When prompted choose the Officejet 8600 Printer and select Next until the Add Driver windows close.
  16. Under the Printer Properties window select 'Apply' but don't hit OK
  17. Select the General tab
  18. Rename your printer back to HP Officejet 8610
  19. Hit OK

Now try to print from MS Word!

Please let me know if the alternate driver resolves your printing issues. Should you still be experiencing issues be sure to respond with your Operating System so I can offered additional steps. Good luck! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hey @Fatalouch,

I would like to assist you today with resolving the print issues you're experiencing with MS Word documents when printing to your HP Officejet Pro 8610 All-in-One Printer. I understand that you have already done a lot of the recommended troubleshooting steps, and I thank you for including all that information in your post. I'm going to suggest some additional troubleshooting steps here. I know you have already run the uninstall and reinstall of your product multiple times, but please run through the step-by- step instructions below:

Step 1: Uninstall Drivers:

Because you did not indicate what Operating System you're using on your computer, I'm going to provide you the document on how to properly uninstall. Please click on this support document and simply choose the Operating System you're using. If you're not sure on what your Operating System is, refer to: What's my OS?

Uninstalling the Printer Software

Step 2: Clear Temp Folder:

1. Open your Start menu and in the 'search programs and files' box type %temp% and hit enter.
  2. When the Temp folder opens select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard
  3. Once everything is highlighted in the Temp folder select 'Delete' on your keyboard to delete the files within the Temp folder. No files and folders on your actual computer will be removed. This will only delete Temporary files. If a file is still be used by a program on your keyboard you will get the pop up to 'skip' the item.
  4. Once the Temp files are deleted close the window
  5. On your Desktop, right click on the Recycling Bin and select Empty Recycling Bin

Step 3: Reinstall Drivers:

Please select the link below to download the appropriate printer drivers:

HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers

Once you download the driver package allow the download to run.

1. The installer will extract to 100% and then launch the installation screen
  2. Run through the step-by-step installation instructions to reinstall your printer
  3. Once the product is properly reinstalled, please proceed to the next step.

Step 4: Change Driver:

Now that the correct driver is reinstalled I am going to have you change the driver to another Officejet 8600 series driver that should resolve this issue.

Please select the following link for the driver: HP Officejet Pro Basic Print and Scan Driver

1. Allow the driver to download and run it
  2. Once the extraction has completed the installer may launch, please close the installation window
  3. Go to your Start menu and in the 'search programs and files' box type %temp% and hit enter
  4. Once the Temp folder opens, click on the most recent 7z folder. It should include files in it that say OJ8600 or OJ860.
  5. At the top of this folder you will see the file path. It may show something like 'computer - local disk c - users- appdata - local - Temp - 7z. . . .'
  6. Left click on the right hand side of the file path bar at the top and everything should highlight in that bar. Then right click in the bar and copy the highlighted file path.
  7. Close the Temp folder
  8. Click on your Start menu and then select Devices and Printers
  9. In the Devices and Printers folder right click on your Officejet 8610 and left click on Printer Properties
  10. Left click on the Advanced tab
  11. Left click on New Driver
  12. When the New Driver window opens just hit 'next' until you see a list of Manufacturers on the left and a list of Printers on the right.
  13. Click on the 'Have Disk' button on the bottom right
  14. When the 'browse' window opens, simply right click in the file path bar and select 'paste' to paste in the file path we previously copied. Select OK.
  15. When prompted choose the Officejet 8600 Printer and select Next until the Add Driver windows close.
  16. Under the Printer Properties window select 'Apply' but don't hit OK
  17. Select the General tab
  18. Rename your printer back to HP Officejet 8610
  19. Hit OK

Now try to print from MS Word!

Please let me know if the alternate driver resolves your printing issues. Should you still be experiencing issues be sure to respond with your Operating System so I can offered additional steps. Good luck! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hey X-23,

Problem resolved. Thank you!

Just for the record, the Orerating System i'm using on my pc is win 7 64-bit.

HP Recommended

First, thanks for the detailed instructions to correct this error.  It worked in as much as I can now print from Word, although  full testing has yet to be completed.  However, the driver you had us install does not (from what I can see in the properties panel), provide access to most of the printers functions, which is primarily why I purchased it.  

According to the writeup on the download page for the basic driver you had us use, this software is primarily designed for use on systems which, and I quote here, "do not meet the minimum system requirements necessary to install the Full Featured software solution."  This is absolutely NOT my problem, running Win 7 SP1 on a 8-core system with 32 GB of memory...power is definitely not my problem.  I want to know when I can expect to see the faulty 8610 driver software corrected so I can use the advanced functions of the device I purchased.

While I'm at it...you should spend more time testing the software and less time devising schemes to overwhelm customers with unneccessary upselling attempts for print supplies and extra services...a 230 MB download for a set of print drivers is ludicrous!  I have owned 3 HP printers that were all workhorses, this one appears well built and produces excellent print output rapidly...now to get the drivers right...

Regards

(not very) Harmless

Robert Hecht
HP Recommended

First, thanks for the detailed instructions to correct this error.  It worked in as much as I can now print from Word, although  full testing has yet to be completed.  However, the driver you had us install does not (from what I can see in the properties panel), provide access to most of the printers functions, which is primarily why I purchased it.  

According to the writeup on the download page for the basic driver you had us use, this software is primarily designed for use on systems which, and I quote here, "do not meet the minimum system requirements necessary to install the Full Featured software solution."  This is absolutely NOT my problem, running Win 7 SP1 on a 8-core system with 32 GB of memory...power is definitely not my problem.  I want to know when I can expect to see the faulty 8610 driver software corrected so I can use the advanced functions of the device I purchased.

While I'm at it...you should spend more time testing the software and less time devising schemes to overwhelm customers with unneccessary upselling attempts for print supplies and extra services...a 230 MB download for a set of print drivers is ludicrous!  I have owned 3 HP printers that were all workhorses, this one appears well built and produces excellent print output rapidly...now to get the drivers right...

Regards

(not very) Harmless

Robert Hecht
HP Recommended

Hello @Harmless,

Just to clear up a few things for you:

The driver I had you load is for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 series printer. Your model of printer is the HP Officejet Pro 8610. The Officejet 8600 (CM749a) is the exact same printer as the Officejet 8610 but it is the prior version of your product. Because the Windows 7 and Windows 8 Operating System occasionally experience a driver conflict with the Officejet 8610 driver the best replacement of that print driver would be the Officejet 8600. No functions differ at all between the two drivers so you have no risk at losing any functionality (such as duplexing).

The specific driver package for the Officejet 8610 is 162.0M and it is that size because it includes all of the Full Feature Software for your printer. You do have the option to customize what is actually installed during the installation process.

Once the Full Feature Software and Driver installation for your HP Officejet 8610 completes, I suggested that you load the HP Officejet 8600 basic driver via the Printer Properties screen. This ensures that none of your software components will be affected by the new print driver being added in. Therefore, scanning, faxing, and the HP Printer Assistant will all function as per normal. If you were to uninstall your Driver and Software package and simply 'Add A Printer' with that basic Officejet 8600 driver package you would not lose printing features (ie: colour options, duplexing, etc) but you would most certainly lose Software functionality. That's why it is important that you run the full installation for your actual printer first.

Microsoft has since released a 'HotFix' as they recognize that the Windows Operating System has issues printing to certain printers. Unfortunately this HotFix is only for Windows 8 at this time. Should you want more information into this fix please click here.

To sum this up, you will not lose any functions of your printer.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion on the fix that I offered. Happy New Year! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

i have the same problem with printing on my PRO 8610, but not from MS Word .... I have problem with some other software, but the result is same: some strange horizontal lines.

I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, manually adding 8600 basic driver.. no help.

Printing from Notepad and Ms Word works fine.  One other program makes problems, but I doubt that the problem is in this program.

Any advice?

HP Recommended

Hello @VK880DI,

I understand that you are experiencing a print quality issue when printing from some programs to your HP Officejet Pro 8610 All-in-One Printer. Because you are able to print fine through Notepad and MS Word, I do not believe this issue lies with a driver conflict. Notepad communicates directly with your HP print driver. Unlike other programs that will override your printer driver settings with their own program settings, Notepad does not do this. Therefore, I believe something else is occuring.

• What is the program that you are having the issue with printing from?

For now, I would like you to print a standalone Print Quality Report. This will let us know if there is a specific cartridge that may be causing the defect. The reason this is important is because when you print from some programs (like Notepad) if you're printing a black only text document, only black ink will be used. However, some programs send documents to the printer like image files. Therefore, even if you're printing a black only text document, colour is used to enrich the black. The programs that you are having an issue printing from may be utilizing a colour cartridge to print. If the colour cartridge is defective you will see quality issues arise.

1. Load plain white paper into the tray.
  2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon (). The Setup menu displays.
  3. Swipe the display to scroll to Print Reports, and then touch Print Reports.
  4. Touch Print Quality Report. The printer prints a test page.

Image: Example of a Print Quality Diagnostics Page.

• If this report prints perfectly: Than the issue that you're experiencing is not being caused by printer hardware. At this point I would like you to click here to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool. This Tool will run on your computer and 'fix printing' issues for you. Should any driver, software, or connection conflicts be found that the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool will attempt to resolve those conflicts for you.

• If this report print with quality issues: Than the issue that you're experiencing is being caused by your printers hardware. To resolve any hardware quality issues, can I please have you click here. Once the website opens, please run through Solution three, Solution five, and Solution six. This includes any sub-steps under the three listed Solutions.

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums! Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi and thanks...

Our printer prints from all other softwares except 1. I have contacted program manufacturer to help me with this issues.

Quality report page is OK, and "Print and scan doctor" did not resolve this issue.

HP Recommended

Hello @VK880DI,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue. I am happy to hear that the standalone report printed successfully. Because this quality issue is occuring with 1 program only, it is definitely a good idea that you contact the manufacturer of that specific program for further assistance.

Please let me know how troubleshooting with them goes. I wish you luck going forward with this! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.