Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My printer worked perfect wirelessly when I installed it and for the past few months.  I just got a replacement laptop and had to install the HP software in Windows 7.  It's exactly the same make and model and OS that I had before.  For some reason, I had to reset the wireless on the printer and now when I go through the wizard it finds the router but tells me that the password I have entered is incorrect.  I have tried everything I can think of and cannot convince it that it is truly correct. I have many devices that are connected to the router using the exact same password.

What can I do to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @DebRien!

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I can see that your Officejet 8610 is not excepting your WiFi password but other devices are.  I would be happy to provide some suggestions that may help resolve the issue.

Just to ensure all the network defaults in the printer have been restored I suggest  restoring network defaults in the printer again.  To restore network defaults in the Officejet 8610 press the WiFi icon on the printer and then press the settings icon in the WiFi menu.  Once in the WiFi settings you should be able to choose the option to restore network defaults and confirm.  After the network defaults are restored, power cycle the printer and try the wireless setup wizard again.

If the printer is still not excepting the password for your network it may be a good idea to contact the router company to ensure the router is still setup to network a printer correctly.  The router needs to have a WPA security with no spaces or punctuation.  I can provide a list of router settings to ensure the router is configured to network the printer.

~ Network name and password need to have NO SPACES OR PUNCTUATION
~ Must be using WPA security
~ Encryption Type 128-bit
~ Dual broadcast Wireless b/g/n (printer will only connect to g)
~ MAC filter needs to be turned off
~ Multicasting Must be turned on
~ Bonjour must be enabled
~ Dual band set to 2.4 Ghz
~ Correct Wireless Channel (not 1,, 6,, 11)
~ Router Firmware Updates
~ Firewall settings need to be at there default settings, or set to a lower security
~ Following ports need to be un-blocked:
Incoming (UDP) ports : 137, 138, 161, 427 (iPad 80, 443)
Outgoing (TCP) ports : 137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500 (iPad 5222, 5223)

☑️ Find information here: An 'Enter WPS PIN' message displays during HP printer setup 

🎥 No PIN needed. If your router supports WPS pushbutton method, please watch the following video.

Please post back and let me know if this worked for you! 🙂

Cbert
I work on behalf of HP.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @DebRien!

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I can see that your Officejet 8610 is not excepting your WiFi password but other devices are.  I would be happy to provide some suggestions that may help resolve the issue.

Just to ensure all the network defaults in the printer have been restored I suggest  restoring network defaults in the printer again.  To restore network defaults in the Officejet 8610 press the WiFi icon on the printer and then press the settings icon in the WiFi menu.  Once in the WiFi settings you should be able to choose the option to restore network defaults and confirm.  After the network defaults are restored, power cycle the printer and try the wireless setup wizard again.

If the printer is still not excepting the password for your network it may be a good idea to contact the router company to ensure the router is still setup to network a printer correctly.  The router needs to have a WPA security with no spaces or punctuation.  I can provide a list of router settings to ensure the router is configured to network the printer.

~ Network name and password need to have NO SPACES OR PUNCTUATION
~ Must be using WPA security
~ Encryption Type 128-bit
~ Dual broadcast Wireless b/g/n (printer will only connect to g)
~ MAC filter needs to be turned off
~ Multicasting Must be turned on
~ Bonjour must be enabled
~ Dual band set to 2.4 Ghz
~ Correct Wireless Channel (not 1,, 6,, 11)
~ Router Firmware Updates
~ Firewall settings need to be at there default settings, or set to a lower security
~ Following ports need to be un-blocked:
Incoming (UDP) ports : 137, 138, 161, 427 (iPad 80, 443)
Outgoing (TCP) ports : 137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500 (iPad 5222, 5223)

☑️ Find information here: An 'Enter WPS PIN' message displays during HP printer setup 

🎥 No PIN needed. If your router supports WPS pushbutton method, please watch the following video.

Please post back and let me know if this worked for you! 🙂

Cbert
I work on behalf of HP.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello

I had the same problem then you (printer kept saying my wifi password was wrong and it was not).

THE SOLUTION: get into your router settings (generally typing http://192.168.1.1 in the brozser) and then change your security mode from "WPA/WPA2" to only "WPA".

Save the router settings and its done.

HP Recommended

You are amazing! This worked perfectly! 

HP Recommended
Same problem on an Envy 4500, WPA not an option (I don't think), enter password and triple check accuracy but it keeps saying invalid password.
HP Recommended

I am having the same exact issue with the same printer. Did you ever find a solution?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm having the same issue here but am not able to change the security settings to WPA as the router is WPA2 only.  Any other suggestions, as I do not want to try to mess with the router which is working fine for all the other devices connected to it?

HP Recommended
Hi. I have same problem with password after I got new router. . Problem was solved. Thanks
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.