Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy 4507
Microsoft Windows XP

If I send a document to the printer it wont print unless I turn the printer off then on again, any idea why??

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey there @furr76 , Welcome to the forums!

I understand you're unable to consistently print, as the printer must be restarted in order to print your documents. I hope to help you!

I want to start off with the basics to see if the problem is hardware or software related.

1. Please try making a copy from the front of the printer, then another copy, and another. Make blank copies to save on ink. I am just looking to find out if the printer is going to perform the copies fine, or show an error message or if it will need to be restarted each time to make copies.

2. Reset the printer and ensure the printer is plugged in directly to the wall outlet, avoiding power bars and surge protectors. This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help greatly.

Press the Power button to turn on the product.
With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

3. If the copies seem to work fine and do not need the printer to be restarted, from your computer now, run the Print and Scan Doctor. This diagnostic tool will check for any conflicts that could be causing the issue. The tool will show you a report at the end. If there was a problem that the tool could not fix, you will notice it in the results. Test print afterwards to see if the problem continues or has been resolved.

4. To add, make sure you are test printing from more than one program. This is important as it will tell us if there is a problem with only one program, or all of them.

Please get back to me with the results so far and we will take it from there! Smiley Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi, new to the forums here but having the same issue with my newly purchased HP Envy 4516. It won't print anything unless I restart the printer. This happens from multiple programs and even from my mobile device. I'm using a Mac with OSX 10.9.5. The printer is plugged into its own outlet (not a power bar).

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

SC

HP Recommended

Hi @SC42!

Thanks for posting!

Try updating the printer firmware:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/EN4510_R1617B.dmg

Let me know how it goes!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

Thank you - I will give that try and keep you posted!

HP Recommended

Hi Jamieson,

I downloaded and installed the new firmware as you recommended and it seems to be working.

I tried printing something after the printer had gone into sleep mode (for this is when the issue starts and the wifi connection is usually broken) and the printer recognized the connection and printed my document.

I'll keep an eye on it but thank you so much for your help on this! Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

I ran the printer firmware updater provided here,and it says there are no upgrades to my device. However, I still can't print from my Mac unless I restart the printer. I can scan, copy, print from my mobile, but something is not connecting with my desktop Mac OSX 10.5.5

HP Recommended

The printer won't print unless restarted everything even my router after every print every time! I have tried downloading the new firmware etc. I have done everything on every forum. I am done purchasing HP Printers!!! I don't have time for this!!! 

HP Recommended

We have been having this same problem since purchasing our HP Printer. Ours is an OfficeJet Pro 6978.

The printer will not wake up on its own when printing wirelessly, using AirPrint or when plugged in via USB. We have tried this from both Macbook Air (OS Sierra) and an HP Windows 10 laptop. Documents remain in the print queue until the printer is restarted.

Even if we manually wake the printer by pressing its power button, the print queue will not process until the printer is fully restarted.

Interesting to note is that using Google Cloud Print does wake up the printer. It, however, has limitations such as not being able to print multiple copies or reverse pages. We also often have to print from PhotoShop or Acrobat, which are not accessible from Cloud Print.

The firmware, software and operating systems are all up to date.

We using our HP printer in a business setting where time is money. This issue is very frustrating and costing us real dollars every time we have to take a trip to the printer to restart.

I've seen this problem posted countless times online, but the HP representatives always seem to abandon the question after suggesting we update or reset the printer. Please move past that to give us a real solution.

HP Recommended

I have had the same problem since i purchased this printer.  Tried everything suggest AFAIK.  I would love a fix or a new printer, but not holding my breath.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.