Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to print #10 envelopes. I went through the exercise of taking out the paper, adjusting the tray, etc. It prints, accept it forces borders on the left and right side of approx 5/8".

I am printing from Word 2013. Even in the print preview I can see that the left part of the envelope has an undesired border.  I also created a PDF and I can see in the print preview that the border is being imposed on the PDF doc as well.

I even tried one suggestion to create a new Letter size doc, set up a border of 2.1875 on top and bottom - effectively lining the envelope content down the middle of a letter. The problem is the "intelligence" built in to the printer tells me that the incorrect paper size is loaded and stops the printing.

I cannot believe this should be so challenging.

My questions:

1) How do you get rid of the "forced" border when printing #10 envelopes?

and/or

2) How can I neuter the auto-paper-size detect feature on the printer? 

and/or

3) How do you suggest I print to a #10 envelope like I have been doing for years with other printers?

Thanks,

Randy

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey @RandyBassett,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with the borders issue you're experiencing when printing envelopes and PDF documents to your HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer. One thing I do want to note is that if you're seeing the border issue within the print preview, than it's the programs telling the printer to print with the border. The printers only do what they're 'told' by the program. The print preview in the program is showing the you exactly what the printer is being 'told' to print. I'm going to offer a few steps to correct this issue.

Also note that not all media supports the borderless feature. I will provide you with the steps on how to set borderless as an option, but cannot guarantee it will work for the type of media you are using.

1. Click on your Start menu
  2. Select Devices and Printers
  3. Right click on your HP Officejet Pro 8620
  4. Left click on Printing Preferences
  5. Click on the Advanced option
  6. Enable Borderless printing.

Note: You will see an alert icon beside the option if the selected media type in the Media drop-down list does not support borderless.

Source: Print Documents (Windows)

Next, I'll have you ensure that envelopes are being loaded properly in your printer:

Loading Paper, Envelopes, and Specialty Paper

Please refer to the Envelopes section so you can ensure that the envelope is being loaded correctly.

Once you establish that the envelope is loaded correctly, please follow the steps below to properly print the envelope through Word:

1. Open Word 2013 and click on Mailings at the top
2. Select 'Envelopes' from the top left hand side
3. An Envelopes and Labels page should now open. Enter your Delivery and Return Addresses.
4. Select 'Options' on the bottom right hand side.
5. Under the 'Envelope Options' tab ensure that your Envelope size is appropriately selected.
6. Select the 'Printing Options' tab at the top. You now need to select the appropriate Feed Method for your product.
7. Make sure that you choose the 'Face Down' option.
8. Also ensure that 'Clockwise Rotation' is selected.
9. Hit 'OK' and 'print'

If this still prints with the undesired border and your print preview still shows the border than there may be an additional setting in Word that needs to be altered.

You may also want to try an alternate print driver to see if this resolves your issue.

How To Add An Alternate Driver:

2. Select Devices and Printers
  3. In the Devices and Printers folder right click on your Officejet Pro 8620 and left click on Printer Properties
  4. Left click on the Advanced tab
  5. Left click on New Driver
  6. When the New Driver window opens just hit 'next' until you see a list of Manufacturers on the left and a list of Printers on the right.
  7. Select HP as the Manufacturer on the left
  8. Select Deskjet 9800 as the printer on the right. If Deskjet 9800 doesn't appear than select 'Windows Update' on the bottom left and once the update completes you will be able to select Deskjet 9800.
  9. After selecting Deskjet 9800 hit next to complete the New Driver Wizard
  10. Under the Printer Properties window select 'Apply' but don't hit OK
  11. Select the General tab
  12. Rename your printer back to HP Officejet 8620
  13. Hit OK
  14. Lastly, right click on your HP Officejet 8620 one more time and left click on Printing Preferences
  15. Left click on the Paper/Quality tab
  16. Left click on the 'Normal' dropdown for Print Quality on the bottom right and change this to Fast Normal
  17. Also, click the check box for Borderless printing on the left hand side
  18. Hit Apply and OK
  19. Try to print again.

Please let me know if the steps I've provided resolve your border issue. Good luck! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately none of the steps helped.

It doesn't matter if I print from PDF or Word. I can select other printers and the printing is borderless for #10 envelopes. As soon as I select the 8620, the imposed border shows up.

Ironically, I printed these envelopes yesterday at a client location on their HP Laser - not a problem. So I KNOW there is nothing wrong with the programs setting up the print job (i.e. nothing more to set in Word or Adobe Reader). The issue is with the print drivers for the 8620 - they simply won't allow proper #10 envelope printing. I say "proper" because it is very common to have the return address sitting close to the upper left edge.

This is the first printer I have had that does not allow this type of printing - it is certainly a step backwards. The drivers need to be improved.

The other workaround noted in another HP thread looked promising (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Envelope-Printing-officejet-pro-8500-wireless/...

This workaround tries to use letter paper size (which allows borderless printing) and then centres the envelope content down the middle of the doc. The problem is that the printer detects the "wrong paper size" when I feed in the envelope and stops the print job.

I must say that I have spent a few hours trying to figure out how to print 3 envelopes - it has been very frustrating.

Since the drivers are useless for #10 envelope printing, is there a way to disable the paper size detection on the printer?

Suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hey @RandyBassett,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding the borders issue you're experiencing with your HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer. I'm sorry to hear that the steps I've provided failed to resolve your issue.

Unfortunately, there is no way to disable the paper size detection on your printer. However, I do have another suggestion for you that I think may get this printer functioning properly.

I'm going to have you try an alternate driver again, but this time it will be a specific Officejet driver that is more suited to your product.

If you're on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 the steps may differ slightly on how to access the start menu and such. If you're using that operating system and have issues following the steps I'm going to give you below, please respond to this post and I will modify the steps if need be.

Step 1: Uninstall  Drivers:

If using a USB Cable connection, please disconnect the cable now.

2. Select All Programs
  3. Select the HP folder
  4. Click on your HP Officejet 8620 series
  5. Select Uninstall
  6. Follow through with any on screen instructions to uninstall your printer

Step 2: Clear the Temp Folder:

2. In the 'search programs and files' box located right above Start when you click on it type %temp% and hit Enter
  3. When the Temp folder opens select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard
  4. Next, select 'Delete' on your keyboard. This will remove all temporary internet files from your computer. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a file in the Temp folder still be used, than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' the file.
  5. Once the Temp folder is emptied of its files close the folder.
  6. On your desktop right click on your Recycling Bin and select 'Empty Recycling Bin'

Step 3: Reinstall Printer:

1. Select the following file to reinstall your printer drivers:  HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers
  2. Select Download on the website that opens
  3. Allow the download to Run once it is completed
  4. Follow the on screen instructions to reinstall your printer
  5. If using the USB Cable connection, only plug in the cable when the installer prompts you to.
  6. Once the printer is successfully reinstalled, proceed to the next step.

Step 4: Download and Add Alternate Driver:

1. Click on the following link to download the alternate Officejet driver: HP Officejet Pro Basic Print and Scan Driver
  2. Select Download on the web page
  3. Allow the Download to Run
  4. Once the download is complete an extraction window will pop open and extract to 100%
  5. Once the extraction is complete, if an install window pops open please close this.
  6. Click on your Start menu
  7. In the 'search programs and files' box located right above Start when you click on it type %temp% and hit Enter
  8. In the Temp folder you will see a folder starting with 7z, click on this folder to open it (there may be two 7z folders)
  9. Under the 7z file you're looking for files that say OJ860. If you see any files that say OJ862 than go back to the previous Temp folder window and select the second 7Z folder. Ensure that this folder only contains OJ860 files in it.
  10. Once you open the correct OJ860 7z folder at the top of this window you will see your file path. (It may show something like: Computer - Local Disk C: - Users - AppData - Local - Temp - 7z . . .) Left click on the right hand side of the file path bar and everything in that bar should become highlighted
  11. Next, right click on the highlighted file path bar and 'copy' the file path
  12. Close the Temp folder
  13. Go to your Start menu and select Devices and Printers
  14. In the Devices and Printers folder right click on your Officejet 8620 and left click on Printer Properties
  15. Left click on the Advanced tab
  16. Left click on New Driver
  17. When the New Driver window opens just hit 'next' until you see a list of Manufacturers on the left and a list of Printers on the right
  18. Select the 'Have Disk' option on the bottom right
  19. An 'Install From Disk' box will pop open. In the 'Copy manufacturer's files from:' line right click and paste in the file path we previously copied.
  20. Select OK
  21. You will now be able to select the Officejet 8600 printer and hit next.
  22. Hit 'next' to complete the New Driver Wizard
  23. Under the Printer Properties window select 'Apply' but don't hit OK
  24. Select the General tab
  25. Rename your printer back to HP Officejet 8600
  26. Hit OK

Now that you have the new driver loaded try to print a document to ensure the borders are printing properly.

Please let me know if these steps resolved your borders issue. Fingers crossed! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

am having the same issue with border printing on envelopes (#10).  I am using a Mac.  Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.