Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp-17-g121wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having a problem with my new hp laptop computer running windows 10 (64 bit ) home.  It has the AMD A10-8700p apu. (cpu/gpu combined)  the clock is rated at 1800 mhz with boost speeds to 3200mhz.   It operates just fine with normal amounts of boost varying upon load conditions etc...  but if I let the computer go to sleep or hibernate, when I resume, it locks the cpu speed to 1.2ghz and will not budge.   The load can go up in down, but it stays there.  If I do a full shut down and re-start, all is well again.  I would like to use my sleep function... without it crippling my computer speed on resume.  Currently the power options are set to bypass sleep and shutdown due to this problem.  I am running 16.300.2701.0 Rev.C driver for display and F.41 Rev.A bios. (latest of both I could find on hp support)  Any thoughts?

I tried the live chat/support and was dissapointed. 

I let them take control of my computer.  He checked the downloads for my computer and started downloading the display driver I already had installed.  I told him I had it in the downloads folder and even opened up the folder to show him the download from 2 days before of the exact file (why waste space? it clearly had (2) after the file name when it was downloading again)  He disappeared for some time, I asked if he thought I should run it again?  If this was a re-accuring problem?  Finally said Hello?  and he came back before I closed the window.  He ignored my question and wanted a remote desktop session again.  I explained to him I was sorry, I should have said I updated the video and bios for my computer already.  He then said he would like to perform so slow performance tasks.  I asked him if he could just tell me instead of giving him control of my computer.  He said he would remove temporary junk files.  I explained to him that this has nothing to do with my problem (nicely) and that I had already performed disk cleanup and defragmentation as a part of normal computer maintenance.  My only other options  seems to be this forum or the phone... honestly I'm afraid I will get the run around on the phone after my live chat support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem is fixed!  I had some problems with another computer .. a dell 1747 studio with amd on board 4650hd graphics.  I couldn't get the catalist to work with the current driver.  I used amd's cleaning tool to get rid of any trace of the current driver to revert back to the old, then catalist would install again.  I figured tying this on the totally different apu/radeon set on my hp would be worth a shot... It uninstalled everything and I had just the basic microsoft driver working, no sleep mode option from the power button after re-boot.  Then I re-installed the latest drivers from hp on a clean slate.   This worked like a charm, no longer locked at 1.28ghz after sleep.. the apu throttles accordingly. 🙂

Here is a link for anyone this may help in the future, if they need it : http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Medved250

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

It has to be the processor driver which is part of the chipset which is part of the video driver in AMD. All I think you can do is to see if maybe there is an updated chipset/video driver on the AMD site which would be venturing into uncharted territory since it is usually recommended to install the OEM driver. This is the kind of "bug" that will have to be reported numerous times before HP or AMD will provide an updated driver or maybe BIOS. 

If you want to try it you can attempt installing the A10-8700p driver from here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Notebook-APU-Drivers.aspx#a10

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply!  I did indeed try the Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.3 driver from AMD.  It will freeze and fail when trying to install.  I double checked just now to make sure I downloaded the correct one.  I think maybe the 15 watt TDP of the Pavilion laptop setup for this processor may come into play as the driver from  AMD might not recognize that limitation.   Thank you for the link though, it was kind of you! 

HP Recommended

Problem seems to be solved... windows compatability driver is : 22.19.157.3  it's an AMD Radeon R6 driver released on 4/10/2017.   I turned sleep settings back on... set the computer to sleep with lid closed, opened it and back to full speed with no ill effect on my clock speed!  Hope this helps someone with the same issue 🙂  I will update if any ill effects are found out with this driver.

HP Recommended

Note, amd display settings no longer work... so I can't adjust some things... it's a tradeoff.  I did benchmark it with bioshock for kicks... and my frame rate went up 10fps at medium settings for 720p.  I'm running 38 at that level, I thought it was pretty good, considering my old dell xps m1730's with 2 dedicated gpu's would run about that (10 years old though)  I had one freeze up during an online test (very bad timing)  I'm unable to replicate it, so I'm monitoring...

HP Recommended

Problem is back...  it seems to matter how long it's in sleep mode for.  If I just shut the lid long enough for it to enter sleep mode and open it right back up, it's ok.  If I leave it in sleep for an hour, it's not.. you must shut it completely down and re-start again.  Looking forward to a fix 🙂  I've tried all the compatable drivers I can find.

HP Recommended

Problem is fixed!  I had some problems with another computer .. a dell 1747 studio with amd on board 4650hd graphics.  I couldn't get the catalist to work with the current driver.  I used amd's cleaning tool to get rid of any trace of the current driver to revert back to the old, then catalist would install again.  I figured tying this on the totally different apu/radeon set on my hp would be worth a shot... It uninstalled everything and I had just the basic microsoft driver working, no sleep mode option from the power button after re-boot.  Then I re-installed the latest drivers from hp on a clean slate.   This worked like a charm, no longer locked at 1.28ghz after sleep.. the apu throttles accordingly. 🙂

Here is a link for anyone this may help in the future, if they need it : http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.