Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When using the scan to computer option on the printer / scanner it doesn't take the document from the feeder, instead scanning a blank image from the flatbed part.

If I use the software on the PC to initiate a scan it does feed the document in, as it does when using the Copy option on the device itself.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @MGravelle,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're experiencing issues with the scanner on your HP Officejet Pro 6830 Printer. I will certainly do my best to help you.

When you're performing these functions from the printer there are a few things to consider.

When you're initiating the copy or scan from the printer it has sensors. Having paper in both is not recommended.

• Before scanning or copying, remove the paper from the ADF and flatbed. Make sure to close the lid on the flatbed. This will reset the sensors. 
  • Now, put the paper on the flatbed, close the lid and hit Scan. 
  • I do not recommend having paper on both the flatbed and in the ADF at the same time, this will confuse the printer. 

NOTE: The reason you do not have this problem when initiating the scan from the computer is because the software can control the setting for the scan. 

Hope this answers your question. Thank you for posting!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Drakster:

I am sorry but your response does not answer the question, it just provides things to check.  I have a very similar situation.  The ADF feeds documents when I initiate a copy from the printer/scanner control panel, but when I initiate the scan from the device it does not work.  This issue is confusing.

I have also updated the firmware on the printer.

I am hopefully the community has a resolution otherwise, this model of HP product is going back because it "does not work"!

Thank you in advance for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @CColvin,

What this the error message you're receiving?

Have you followed the instructions I provided?

The sensor may need to be reset.

Remove the paper from the ADF, flatbed and reboot the printer.

I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

• Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

If you're still having issues, scan from the computer.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Drakster:

Thank you for your reply.

I went into Windows Fax and Scan menu.  Go to Tools, Scan Settings and select the printer/scanner.  Edit the properties.

Select the "Source" to be "Feeder", make this the "default" profile and then "Save Profile".  This will then enable you to scan multiple pages by using the ADF.

HP Recommended

This worked.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Finally, someone with a solution of where to find "Source" and change to document feeder.  I have been looking through hp support solutions for an hour and all they say is change the source, but I had no idea where that was located.  Thank you so much for taking the time to post the steps of how to find it.

HP Recommended

Thank you . This worked.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.