Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've purchased a brand new x476dw. It worked great for the first couple of days.

I then set up a scan email account via the web interface. Now, the printer won't respond and worse:

it won't boot! The net interface won't work, etc.

Booting hangs with the hp logo and the "loading" bar frozen.

Is there a hardware reset button somewhere???

thanks for any help!!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

If your printer is locking up and failing to boot then the only thing you can do is try to perform a Cold/NVRAM reset on it.  There are no physical reset buttons for you to press on printers with a touch screen.  However there should be a certain spot on the screen that you can press and hold while booting that will interrupt the boot and bring you to an admin menu.

I dont see any NVRAM or Cold Reset steps posted online for this printer model yet.  You should contact HP Support and have them walk you through the process.  When you are done post back and share with us the reset steps so we can help others.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

After four hours with support online I couldn't fix the printer but they showed me how to get to the service menu.

1. Unplug the power cord (!)

2. Insert power plug while keeping power button pressed.

3. While the HP logo appears on the screen, keep the button pressed. The screen will go dark. KEEP THE BUTTON PRESSED for another 5-10 seconds.

4. Let go of the button. The screen remains black.

5. Push Home-Back-Home-Home button. The buttons are usually not visible, so refer to the manual, where they are on the touch screen. (Home is left of the upper left corner of the touchscreen, Back is left of the lower left corner)

6. A blue menu comes up, with four choices.

7. MENU on the lower right has a FULL RESET option.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. The printer is still freezing when booting.

My .02 cents: Once you get the printer to actually print it's beautiful. The hardware design is really well thought out. The software design is straight from the 1960s. I am a filmmaker and even I have heard of unit tests... this is really flawed design... (One of their Flash updates is called FaxMemoryFix, so I'll let you imagine the rest) - If you really rely on your printer to work, I would be *VERY* careful before buying one of these.

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing the Cold Reset steps for the x476dw. 

I have not seen a NVRAM Reset proceedure like that one yet, HP appears to want to make every new model be different.  In previous touchscreen models you would only have to find the special spot on the screen to press and hold while booting.  Now it sounds like they want you to tap a screen sequence too.

Does this mean that HP was not willing to service the printer under the warranty for this issue?  Normally a boot problem can only be replaced by replacing the formatter and would be covered.  Bringing the printer in for maintenance to perform this proceedure may end up costing you more than 50% of a new model and may not be worth it.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

No, they are recommending to replace the whole machine with a new one (under warranty). Another call to support confirmed that there are no more options to fix the machine onsite.

This is really annoying because obviously I have to bring the machine to the vendor and then wait until HP has figured out when and how they will replace the machine, drive again to pick it up, etc. All in all, more than a day for me is lost, just because of faulty software. If I add up all the costs for HP I will have to expect the toner to be really expensive, because otherwise they will never be able to cover the expenses for my case :smileyhappy:

We are not talking about a mechanical issue here. The printer just can't boot. If I were a manager at HP I would have a long, sad conversation with the development team... Just imagine, what a person like Steve Jobs would do to them. :smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

This won't be an answer for you on this printer as it appears they have already sent you a new one. If you are on a MAC, the only solution is to send a new printer.

However, if you have a PC, they can do a remote connection to your printer and install the new FW that fixes this issue.
For other people reading this thread, ask the agent to remotly fix this issue.

HP Product Expert for the Officejet Pro X and PageWide Pro Series.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
HP Recommended

I am sorry to say that the remote agent DID manage to update the firmware (through a laptop running Windows XP) - the printer did update (showing the correct "update" screen) but nevertheless was not able to boot - without any kind of error message.

So my advice is that if you receive this kind of error, save yourself and the poor agent at HP the time and bring the printer back straight away :smileyhappy:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.