Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP 8600 Office Jet is randomly not detecting paper in the ADF tray.  Aside from that the printer works great for all other features and options.   Typically when you slide paper in the ADF tray you will get a chime when it detects paper.    My problem is when it stops working there is nothing I can do to bring it back, or so I thought.   I called HP for support as fortunately my printer is under a 1 yr warranty.   Sad to say the 1st line of support was reading from a manual and didn't have a clue.  He had me cleaning the rollers.  If the paper is not being detected the rollers are a mute point but I couldn't convince him of that.   He later sent me to the expert who did nothing more than offered me to send the unit in or they would send me a new one if I gave credit card.    I thought it was worth trying 1 more thing.  I believe the black hinged plastic device that is used to detect paper is sensed by a photosensor that is visible down in 1 of the slots.  I took a chance and was able to fit a q-tip with ipa on it down in the hole so as to clean the sensor.   Low and behod, my ADF is working all time now.  tried cycling power on/off 3 or 4 times and each time the ADF seemed to detect paper ok.  It even detected after being used first time as that would typically happen too where it would work once but not twice in a row.  Seems to work reliably now.   Can't be for sure that cleaning the sensor was the solution but it sure acts like it was.  Thought others may want to know this.  Its a simple thing to try and doesn't involve removing covers/screws that would void the warranty.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Not certain why cleaning what you cleaned workedbut I am glad that it is now working for you consistently.

I would like to note that this is definitely a fringe solution to the issue.

The Officejet 8600 series printer actually uses a mechanical sensor rather than an electronic sensor.

If you open the ADF cover, there are three plastic pieces that hang and swing freely.  The two in the back are white and then there is one black one just a little more towards the front that also hangs freely.  The single black one is what actually triggers the paper sensor.  This is why the paper loading diagram indicates the paper needs to be loaded on the right side as this is where the paper sensor is.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Well I guess all I can say is what I did made a difference then.  Maybe I touched the mechanical sensor that you refer to.  There truly appears to be some type of photo sensor down in the hole where the outer part of the black hinged plastic drops into.  You are right that there is 1 black device but it has 2 plastic tabs on it that drops into  holes.   I couldn't see anything mechanical but appreciate your advice.  Too bad they don't use you on the support line when we call for help.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and i can confirm that there is a photo sensor that is triggered by the black pastic tangs when you push the paper in.

Problem is cleaning the sensor does not seem to have solved my problem. (I just used a q tip - no IPA) - anyway you can tell the sensor is working by just brushing the q tip across the sensor and you get the chime.

Pushing the paper in produces the chime because the paper pushes the black hinge tangs across the sensor. So my printer knows there is paper there.

the trouble is when I start off the scan the rollers in the top of ADF hinged cover do not drop to engage the paper and feed them in. It just seems to try but does not engage or drop the rollers onto the paper. 

HP Recommended
Hello elay12

If your printer is detecting the paper, but is unable to pick the paper from the ADF, then follow the steps outlined in the following article. If the problem persists it may be a hardware problem and the printer will need to be serviced.
The Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) Does Not Pick Up Paper
(Note: that article is for the Officejet 8600 N911a, the ADF is slightly different in the N911g and N911n models. Let me know if you have one of those as the instructions may differ as well.)
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended
I have the 8600 N911G. I can not get the printer to recognize that there is paper in the ADF
HP Recommended

@cseaman9

I would take a look at the document below.   If the steps in the document do not resolve your issue then you would have to consider replacement of unit.

Automatic Document Feeder

HP Recommended

I thought it was worth trying 1 more thing.  I believe the black hinged plastic device that is used to detect paper is sensed by a photosensor that is visible down in 1 of the slots.  I took a chance and was able to fit a q-tip with ipa on it down in the hole so as to clean the sensor.   Low and behod, my ADF is working all time now.  tried cycling power on/off 3 or 4 times and each time the ADF seemed to detect paper ok.  It even detected after being used first time as that would typically happen too where it would work once but not twice in a row.  Seems to work reliably now.   Can't be for sure that cleaning the sensor was the solution but it sure acts like it was.  Thought others may want to know this.  Its a simple thing to try and doesn't involve removing covers/screws that would void the warranty.

This worked for me, just as recommended above, though the paper in the ADF was always detected and chime always engaged.............paper just didn't get picked up.

Amazing, HP has mad 50 bazillion office jet all in one's and the only help they offer is to suggest that the rollers nead cleaning or a reboot is in order.  Don't know about you all, but my rollers don't get dirty in an office enviornment............Shame that we've got to spend alot of time self diagnosing and researching fixes for HP increasingly p__s poorly designed products. I've owned a ton of them over the years and frankly the quality of late leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks to the very smart person who made the recommendation as above.

HP Recommended

I've got to agree with your statement about HP"s stellar customer support. Non-existent really. I owned a Canon Multipass before this HP and it had problems occasionally but even if I called support 5 years after I bought it they made it easy to talk to a real human to guide through whatever may be able to resolve the issue. Call HP? Sure and make you pay for it even after only owning their product for 13 months? Realy? You only stand behind your product that long? I wonder if HP thinks I will go out each year and buy a new one of their printers each time it doesn't even recognize friggin' paper in the feeder.

If they think this kind of support will have me buy another one their products then their management is all due for in depth drug testing

HP Recommended

As far as the document feeder etc.  I found a simple solution

Restart the printer

be sure the paper is curled slightly down, toward the glass

The plastic peice that detects is extremely sensitive and the space is made to fit large quantities as well as small ones.  A small fax or scan that is curled up may not be touching the sensor.

Worked for me

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.