Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8660
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an OfficeJet Pro 8660 connected wirelessly via a network to two computers, one running Windows 7 and the other running Windows 10.  On the Windows 10 machine, I noticed that when I print on two-sides of the paper, the printer defaults to wide (1") print margins.  For example, I have a 3-page Excel document with 0.25" margins.   If I print it as three separate pages, it prints just fine, with the margins as I have defined them.  But if I print this same document using the "print on both sides" option, the printer uses the wider margins.

This only seems to happen on the Windows 10 machine.  Since both computers are connected through the network, wirelessly, I don't understand why they should function any differently.

I hope someone can help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Patti_Mik,

Thanks for getting back to me and providing more information. I see that you have the Officejet Pro 8600 Plus Printer. 

If the same document prints from a different computer, there is likely an issue with the print driver on Windows 10.

Please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, to confirm that you're using the correct print driver.

• What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor (did it print or scan, any error messages)?

In addition, I would try creating a custom paper size to see if you can get it to print correctly.

Which program are you printing from? 

• Try printing the document from a different application.

Please respond to this post with the results. Good Luck! 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Patti_Mik,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you have adjusted the print margins for your printer and the setting it not working when you're duplexing (2-sided) printing. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

Printer Specifications for HP Officejet 7610, 7612 Printers

NOTE: Duplexing is not compatible when printing outside the preset print margins, the duplexer (two-sided printing accessory) is not capable of doing that.

The printer's preset print margin are set to 3.3 mm (0.13 inch).

I hope this helps. Please respond if you have any concerns. I hope you have a great day!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  Originally, I thought it was about the pre-set margins for duplexing.  But now, I don't think that is what's happening.  All other things being equal, the variable is the operating system. 

The document in question is 3 pages long.  It has a top and bottom margin of 0.15".  So, none of the margins were set to be narrower than the printer's preset margin.  I thought perhaps there was a problem with some other setting in this document.  So, I created a new document and copied over the data.  No change.

If I print this document from the older machine running Windows 7, it prints just fine.  However, if I print it from the newer machine, running Windows 10, the margins print as follows:  

• Sheet 1/ frontside top margin=1", bottom margin= 0.15"
  • Sheet 1 / backside top margin= 0.15", bottom margin= 1"
  • Sheet 2 / frontside top margin=1", bottom margin 0.15"

It seems that on a duplexed page, it defaults to a 1" top margin for the front side of the paper and uses the correct top margin on the reverse side of the page.  It's very baffling.

Also, I don't know if it matters, but my printer is a Officjet Pro 8600 Plus (I was wrong when I wrote earlier that it was an 8660).

I hope you can help me figure this out!

Patti

HP Recommended

Hi @Patti_Mik,

Thanks for getting back to me and providing more information. I see that you have the Officejet Pro 8600 Plus Printer. 

If the same document prints from a different computer, there is likely an issue with the print driver on Windows 10.

Please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, to confirm that you're using the correct print driver.

• What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor (did it print or scan, any error messages)?

In addition, I would try creating a custom paper size to see if you can get it to print correctly.

Which program are you printing from? 

• Try printing the document from a different application.

Please respond to this post with the results. Good Luck! 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!  When I originally connected the new computer to the printer, the system seemed to recognize it.  So, I assumed (wrongfully) that the operating system contained the appropriate drivers.   Clearly, it didn't.

I downloaded and ran the Print and Scan Doctor.  It prompted me to install the correct drivers.  Now, it prints with the proper margins, just like the other computer!

What a relief!  Again, thank you! :OpenSmile:

Patti

HP Recommended

I have an HP Photosmart 7520 and I am experiencing the margin issue stated ... single page printing no problem all margins are correct ... double sided page printing and margins are messed up. I am using Microsoft Word with margins set at Top .5, Bottom .25, Left .75 and Right .75.

I am using an HP Desktop with the latest version of Windows.

I just completed deleted the Printer and followed the procedures outline in the previous entry to no avail. 

HP Recommended

I don't know if this helps, but if I remember right, my problem was that when I first set up my new computer (running Windows 10), I connected my HP 8600 using drivers already installed. It seemed to recognize it fine, so I just moved forward. It was only when this margin issue cropped up that I realized the printer drivers were close but not exactly right. I used HP's Print and Scan Doctor to troubleshoot, but I think another way to go would be to install the printer using the original install disk, though those drivers will probably not be the newest.

You might also try going to the support page for your printer and downloading the newest drivers there.

Hope you get it worked out...

HP Recommended

I used HP's Print and Scan Doctor to troubleshoot, and I went to the support page for my printer and downloaded the newest drivers. The issue persists. This problem has been around for ages ... why doesn't HP have a real solution for it.

HP Recommended

The issue persists for me as well unfortunately. HP Officejet 6700 Premium, latest drivers installed from the HP Support website, and the Print and Scan Doctor program does not detect any driver issues. 

Double-sided printing results in a scaled down page. Another user suggested I adjust the Preserve Layout setting to 'No'. Strangely, this DOES help the scaling issue, but then for some crazy reason it cuts off and inch or more from the top and bottom of the page (so I lose the top and bottom border lines, page numbers, etc).

I just posted a fresh thread about this, detailing my findings from other users as well. Multiple people are experiencing this issue, and it seems like an issue with the driver for this printer - can we please work together to find a solution?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.