Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I did a semi-full reset and now the printer is stck in the set up animation menu depicting how to install cartriges. No buttons illuminated but the back arrow whic only restarts the animation.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi cumberlandjames,

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

I understand that the printer you just did a semi-full reset on is stuck on the animation display showing you how to install the ink cartridges. I would like to help with that.

I would start by removing the cartridges and then re-seat them to see if it helps get past the animation.

If that does not help try doing a Power Reset and try again.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message.:)

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

These actions had no effect at all. Even tried reseating the cartridge carrier and cleaning contacts. Remains locked at setup screen with message "to set up printer and connect to network, press continue" The only thing is when you press continue it goes to the blue HP initializing screen for a second and then back to the same animation. Back arrow is active only to restart the amimation. Unable to access any other controls or screens. Unable to reload drivers. Just stuck!

HP Recommended

OK, spent time with HP rep controlling my computer and trying to download SW but no joy.  Tried everything I could find on the internet but no joy. Unfortunately your solutions would not work either. SO... off to Staples and bought a new 8610 as it used the same cartridges as my frozen 8600. All installed and running, finished of some print jobs when I realized I left a set of new cartridges in the old printer.

I powered it up and played with it a little but same story, stuck in a loop. I noticed however that the WI-FI button even though not illuminated was powered and I could hear a click every time I touched it.  

SO.. I began playing again. I have found in the past that often holding 2 buttons at the same time is used as a reset on many devices so what the heck, lets play some more.

Holding the WI-FI button, and trying the various main buttons even though they were not visible, their location actually clicked when I touched them (not visible in the frozen mode) indicating they were now active.  Somehow holding the wi-fi button energised them.

After a few minutes of pressing each repeatedly with no result, I arrived at the last one, the arrow on the right side of the display. 

While holding the WI-FI and repeatedly pressing the right arrow, it restarted the initialization/setup process. I was able to go through the entire setup successfully and the printer is now working. It seems that there is a safeguard that no one at HP support knows about allowing you to recover to the set up menu.

Great news I guess except that now I have two printers cluttering up my little office space. Since I have used the new one, I can't even return it. An expensive fix that ended up being unnecessary. Please pass this info to everyone in the hope it saves others some frustration and replacing a printer unnecessarily.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

HP Recommended

Wow. Thanks for sharing that @cumberlandjames. I will defiantly be sharing that information. 

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue - it is stuck on the second animation.  I have tried your suggestion but it still won't get through the initialization.  So frustrating... this printer has never even been though a full reem of paper. 😞

HP Recommended

Well don't rely on HP for help. Thier suggestion to me was "buy a new printer." I got mine working purely by accident after playing with it for hours trying many different things.  Additionally, watch out for "new" style cartriges. My new printer has the same part number cartridges as the old but they are not nterchangeable. HP in an effort to sell product has done something to them so the cartidges from my older printer wor't work in the new one een though they are the same number.

BUY A  DIFFERNEBT DRAND. HP IS ROBBING TH ECUSTOMERS!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.