Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The message on my printer screen reads: printhead appears to be missing, not-detected, or incorrectly installed.

I have followed all the recommended steps, 3 times, but it does not respond. Plus the message (when turning on the printer, does not show the main screen (with all the icons)

I downloaded  OJ8600_1315-1 to update the drivers (its in my download folder); but I  do not think it is installed because I did not see the figure 3, in the install window example.

My wireless icon on the printer is not lit, which may be why the installation isn't complete. actually the wireless icon is not on the printer screen but to the left of the screen.
I can still use the printer's scan functions, so I know the wireless printer is talking to my wireless pc. All of my ink cartridges are full and I would hate to loose the $$$ spent on them, if I need to get a new printer.  

The printer was purchased from HP Home Store on 6/11/2012, with a 2-year warranty (which has expired). I am old and not very computer savvy. Hope someone can help. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to HP support community

If you have a problem and the printhead appears to be missing, not detected or incorrectly installed, check this steps:

➡️Reseat the printhead up to three times

1. Open the door to access to the ink cartridges.

2. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

3. Unplug the power cord from the rear of the printer.

WARNING: 

You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer.

4. Lift the carriage latch, slightly lift the printhead, lower the printhead back into the carriage, wiggle the printhead left and right, and then lower the carriage latch to lock the printhead into place.

c06237869.gif

5. Close the ink cartridge access door.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then check the control panel for the error message.

7. Sometimes error messages persist after inserting the printhead. If the error message persists, repeat the steps to reseat the printhead up to three times.

⚠️You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Resolving 'Print System Problem', 'Problem with Ink System' Errors

Agatha
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

@ncbenter

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer. I understand that you are getting printhead appears to be missing error message and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Reset the printer.
  • Unseat the printhead.
  • Remove the ink cartridges, and then check the error message.
  • Clean the ink cartridges, and then check the error message.
  • Update the printer firmware.

Click here and follow troubleshooting steps mentioned in the document to fix this issue.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  • Reset the printer.   Done. message reads Ink system failure; problem with printer or  ink system.  I clicked  the OK button. message reads "printhead appears to be missing, not-detected, or incorrectly installed"
  • Unseat the printhead. Done, same message.
  • Remove the ink cartridges, and then check the error message. Done.  same message. Then I removed the cartridge tray (because the tutorial, on the printer's screen, showed it). Smudges of ink were  on the tray's bottom, on either side of a red band. I gently wiped it clean.
  • Clean the ink cartridges, and then check the error message. I wiped down  cartridges with a dry tissue and inserted them back into the tray. message was the same. 
  • Update the printer firmware. I was able to download the firmware to my download folder; the installation got as far as Select the printer you wish to update. None were listed; I clicked refresh, but nothing appeared.
  • What Now?
HP Recommended

@ncbenter

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Welcome to HP support community

If you have a problem and the printhead appears to be missing, not detected or incorrectly installed, check this steps:

➡️Reseat the printhead up to three times

1. Open the door to access to the ink cartridges.

2. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

3. Unplug the power cord from the rear of the printer.

WARNING: 

You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer.

4. Lift the carriage latch, slightly lift the printhead, lower the printhead back into the carriage, wiggle the printhead left and right, and then lower the carriage latch to lock the printhead into place.

c06237869.gif

5. Close the ink cartridge access door.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then check the control panel for the error message.

7. Sometimes error messages persist after inserting the printhead. If the error message persists, repeat the steps to reseat the printhead up to three times.

⚠️You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Resolving 'Print System Problem', 'Problem with Ink System' Errors

Agatha
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have an HP x476dw. Just got the above error message first time ever. Once the message appears in the screen everything locks on the screen so you can do no more. And the print head on this machine does not seem to be accessible. Anything that can be done ?  Switching on and off a few times just repeats the same error message.  And removing the print cartridges makes no difference 

HP Recommended

I just got this error code on my 6700 Premium. I don't have a "cartridge latch". Is there an alternative solution for me?

HP Recommended

I'm just trying to find out if the 950XL and the 951XL cartridges are interchangeable ,

HP Recommended

Hi @auerchiro,

I'd like to help!

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

My machine does not have a release for the cartridge carrier.  I just took out the ink cartridges, and replaced them, but it still will not print.

Please help me

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.