Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Absolutely - SMB1 is not by any means an ideal security issue. But I was trying to clear my own personal confusion with the specific assertion that Yosemite did not support SMB1, but the post I offered indicated that it does/can.

If someone cannot get their shares working with Yosemite, but this alternative would at least get someone operational, it might be helpful even if it is not an ideal fix. 

HP Recommended

@SoonerDave wrote:

Absolutely - SMB1 is not by any means an ideal security issue. But I was trying to clear my own personal confusion with the specific assertion that Yosemite did not support SMB1, but the post I offered indicated that it does/can.

If someone cannot get their shares working with Yosemite, but this alternative would at least get someone operational, it might be helpful even if it is not an ideal fix. 

No it's a very dangerous and stupid fix.  I would never recommend this.  Better to suggest putting a USB stick on their router and scanning to that than to open their Macs up to secury exploits.

HP Recommended

Well, that's certainly one opinion. Others may choose to take the risk for a short term fix; I'll leave it to those people to make the proper risk/reward assessment. And I'll probably opt not to imply that they're stupid if they do so. To each their own. 

But it does demonstrate that Yosemite does, in fact, support SMB1, which I think is contrary to some information posted previously. 

Have a great day.

HP Recommended

I think what surprises (and disturbs) me about this workaround is that - yes you can 'force' SMB1.. but you can't force SMB2?  I mean why not?  I'd have way less heartburn about that than saying "hey.. turn this feature on - don't worry that someone could break into your mac and still your stuff from it".

I'll agree that it's certainly something that someone can *force* if they just *have* to have support.  But I wouldn't go so far as to say Yosemite supports SMB1.. only that you can *force* Yosemite to support SMB1.

And it doesn't change the fact that HP isn't doing anything to provide a decent fix for the older printers.

EDIT: and as pointed out in the postings below me.. this doesn't work.. I just tried it again to verify.

HP Recommended
Aside from dao1138's point about security on earlier versions of SMB, the instructions for forcing Yosemite to use SMB1 or 2 that you've quoted don't work - as per numerous earlier comments in this thread.
The whole pint of this kind of forum is to share experience and avoid people going down the same blind alleys - but that only works if people read the thread...
HP Recommended

I agree with Hedgert completely.  Also, saying that Yosemite "supports" SMB1 when you have to hack a system configuration file....that is not "support".  

I am amazed at some of the responses here and the lack of understanding about the issue or what consitutes a proper resolution.

HP - fix the firmware.

HP - update it to support SMB3.

HP - Yosemite compatibility issues are not going away until this is done.

HP Recommended

The printer path to Mac server problem.
I've uncovered the cause for the HP LaserJet M3035 MFP not being able to form a handshake/protocol path connection to a Mac running OS 10.8 through 10.10. Apple replaced its old version of SMB with a new version, I believe it's version 3, about HP never bothered to rewrite their firmware to support the new SMB protocols. Even worse, HP may not be able to rewrite to support SMB 3 protocols due to their old fashion AIO network i/o cards. This is typical HP policy for the last for five years. HP appears to believe companies don't mind purchasing new products every 2 to 3 years.

I found a method to decrease the SMB protocol version on the Macintosh. Unfortunately, lowering the version of SMB back to version 1 from version 3 creates networking headaches for filesharing with other Mac clients and even worse opens up major security holes.

My suggestion, find an old Mac running OS 10.7 or 10.6 and use that computer as the sharing folder for the HP device. Then share the folder with other users the office. I realize this is a terrible solution, really there is no other way around HP's arrogance.

I would suggest in the future do not purchase HP products. I switched over to brother products in most of the companies I support, and they're all extremely happy.

HP Recommended
You sir are a genius. A genuine genius!!!
HP Recommended
WorldwideIT you must be a member of MENSA

Maybe you should read back a few pages. We've already discussed this ad nauseum.
HP Recommended

Anything but actually read the thread, lol.....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.