Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Scaning to Network Folders Now Works!

HP released this evening a monster firmware update, Version CLP1CN1516AR, for the OfficeJet 8600.  I am pleased to report that when a physical IP address is used to identify the target OX X Yosemite (10.10.4) computer, that setting up a scan to the folder served by that computer works.  Better yet, the HP 8600 correctly scans documents into the shared folder on the target computer.  Sadly, the printer still appears to require the physical IP address rather than the being able to utilize the <computername.local> address.  But this is a very minor annoyance when compared with not being able to scan directly to my computer.

Indeed, HP was horribly slow in solving the problem, and their inability to communicate effectively with the users of their products is amazing. None-the-less,  better late than never.  And I must admit, maybe there were reasons for the delay.  This was a huge firmware update.  It had to work with every release since 10.6 up through the yet to be released OS X 10.11.   It had to be very tight code because firmware flash memory is very limited.  Moreover, since failed firmware updates turn printers into eBricks,  I presume they had to be extrordinarily cautious.  I was very thankful that they had done enough testing for the firmware update to work.  

I believe this solves the problem. It is time to close this thread, take a deep breath, and let go of pent up anger.

Peace and may the firmware update work as well for you, as it has for me.

Jim

HP Recommended
Before you declare the thread closed.... it would be nice if this update was available for the 8630.... since that was the basis for my concern. No anger here by the way..., just an empty feeling of a disappointed consumer. Hopeful for a fix, but frustrated that it has not worked for last 10 months.
HP Recommended
I registered to receive email notices of updates for 8600. If you have not done so for 8630, check support pages. The firmware should be very similar. Be patient. Have hope.
HP Recommended

I'm confused.  Is anyone else seeing this download?  I just checked the support site and I did find firmware update CLP1CN1452BR dated 7/20/2015.  I just updated my 8600 and verified that CLP1CN1452BR is the resulting firmware on the printer.  However, it still doesn't seem to work.  How are you getting the firmware version you are listing above?

HP Recommended

I have an OfficeJet 8620e and my firmware version is FDP1CN1502AR from Mar 25, 2015.

It looks like the 8600 firmware:

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a Firmware

CLP1CN1452BR 98.3 MB Jul 20, 2015

is only on the support page listed for the 8600. Any ideas as to when the firmware update will also apply to the other models?

HP Recommended

similar issues with the firmware update here as well.  installed version is CKP5CN1435AR.  I tried to update the firmware directly from the printer and it reports that the firmware is already updated. Secondly, I tried downloading from the HP support site (version CLP1CN1452BR dated 7/20/2015) and attempted to install.  The firmware updater reports "This Firmware updater does not contain upgrades for your device"

HP Recommended
This is the notice HP sent me:

Routine Driver Alert - Jul 20 2015

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g_n Firmware (ver CLP1CN1516AR)

Products: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium e-All-in-One Printer series - N911, HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer series - N911

Description: This firmware upgrade is for HP Officejet Pro 8600 All-in-One Printer Series - N911

Went to page thinking it might be a windows only patch but clicked on firmware link anyway. A DMG file containing an OS X installer downloaded.

I will find link and post.
HP Recommended

Here is the link

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-Pro-8600-Plus-e-All-in-One-Printer-seri...

Click on the Firmware + to expand the firmware window and click on Download to get the file.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  But that's a different printer than what I have.  I have the OfficeJet Pro 8600.  It seems you have the OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus, which is a different model.  I wonder why they added functionality to the PLUS only.  That makes no sense to me.

HP Recommended

@jdownward - thanks for your post.  You are right - HP have (finally) released updated firmware for the HP 8600 Office Jet Plus (my model) and having installed it using your link, it does indeed work and I can once again scan to a network drive.

Re your closing remarks about anger and closing the thread (a) with due deference to others on the forum who are still waiting for HP to do the same for their printer there's potentially more discussion to be had, and (b) letting go some pent up anger - not sure it's been all that pent up!

The thing that amazes me about this is HP's behaviour.  So after all - to the great surprise of their customers - they have been working on a firmware upgrade.  Why on earth didn't they say so?  Maybe they didn't know customers had a problem - no, wait for 9 months we've been banging on about it here; and this is HP's own support site!  All it would have taken is for HP to put a post here - in reponse to the perfectly reasonable requests from its customers for a firmware upgrade - but we've had nothing - except the handful of us that got either threatening private messages (threatening us with being blocked from the support site) or private messages telling us to ring support (which I'm sure a number did, like me, and got absolutely nowhere with support staff who didn't listen to the problem being reporting but tried to fob us off with Mac software utility upgrades).

We go forward knowing one thing for sure: the one thing you can guarantee not to get on the HP Support Site - is support from HP!  (You might get it from other customers - thanks @jdownward - but definitely not from HP!)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.