Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello.  I  removed the wifi connection and connected my computer to the printer with a USB cable.  Then I ran the John341 installer.  Nothing happened. The firmware didn't push to the printer.  When I re-activated wifi, it immediately  went back into the restarting loop. Did you have wifi on when you pushed the install?  If so, can you tell me what you did to stop the constant restarting to get the firmware across.  Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Ok. For me....the printer could not have any acess to the internet. Very  important. So disconnect wifi and/or any ethernet connection. Otherwise the printer will return to the loop. Then I used the USB method to install the old firmware. You have to do all steps. Remember that the printer need to be "shared". Just like it's described in the USB method.

HP Recommended

I have a LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw printer also and tried several suggestions posted by the community.  Nothing has worked so far.  I tried following Method 4 that you described and got as far as Step 3.  I haven't used MSDOS commands for nearly 35 years so I'm stuck.  The firmware .RFU file is in my Downloads folder, I have my device name, shared my printer, and connected the USB cable.  I tried following HP's example of writing the DOS command, but I get syntax error messages or a message saying the specified path or file cannot be found.  Can you help?

HP Recommended

Same problem, keep trying to install the old firmware but get stuck in a loop of 79 errors. A little inconvenient as like billions of other people I am stuck working from home. I feel like a forgotten sock, endlessly tumbling in the dryer of HP releasing bad firmware. 

HP Recommended

Unplug your network cable, or turn off the printer wifi. It can't have any connections. Just power and USB. 

HP Recommended

Copy and paste the example and just replace with your info. I made the printer share name very short so it was less to mess up. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  In the meantime, I was able to find the 20200612 firmware .exe file.  I reconnected my printer to my WiFi and installed this firmware version before the 79 Service Error disrupted the process.  Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

LadyDi....PC or Mac??

HP Recommended

I factory-reset my printer first and this stopped the boot loop. (If you connect to your wireless network before sending the older firmware, the boot loop with start again.)  With the printer reset and connected via USB, I was able to send the firmware using the .exe file that John 341 provided.

Here is a video showing how to reset the printer. The printer shown is a slightly different model, but the process is the same. You'll know if the reset was successful when the printer displays: "permanent storage init" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0Ar1TyBHY

Factory Reset HP LaserJet M277dw Printer Steps: 1 - Power Down 2 - Power Up 3 - Wait until you see the energy logo 4 - Press and hold the lower right hand portion of the display 5 - You can release when you see "permanent storage init"
HP Recommended

OK I just got mine to work .. turned off WIFI, set printer back to factory settings by putting a thumb on the screen in the lower left hand corner while booting up PRESS ANDHOLD THERE FOR ABOUT A MINUTE, then proceeded to set up printer again from the start with wifi on.  WIFI set up with same wifi and password.... and voilà it's printing fine now no error code...phew!!!   Good luck everyone! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.