Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G6 Small Form Factor PC (9AW71AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We are trying to secure the DesignJet T830 Plotter printer with our own admin password. Once the password is set the embedded server will not bring up a dialog box to re-enter the password. We use government-furnished equipment and I have also talked to HP support. I have tried different browsers and cannot access them. We have to factory reset the printer to clear the password. The printer is on the network (static IP). The browsers we use are Edge and Chrome. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply Repairman, unfortunately, we have done that already, we have to factory reset to remove the inputted admin password we place on all printers to secure. Then go back and add the IP and DFG, Subnet mask, and DNS. I did try going into the browser disabling the pop-ups and adding the IP address to allowed websites, thinking it just needed to be allowed. This is the only HP series printer we have had problems with, All my B/W and color printers can be secured the same way. Puzzled.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Have you made setting changes other than setting an admin password? Thinking you have changed a setting that disables access to the embedded web server. Are you accessing through a secure HTTPS connection?

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

When I put the IP in it starts out as an HTTP. When I start fooling with the security or other settings sometimes it will redirect to an HTTPS for the embedded server. I tried to update the firmware from the console on the plotter, and that failed. I also tried to update the firmware from USB 16GB using FAT 32 format and when I plugged the USB in it didn't recognize the data stick or didn't read and update. Could this issue be a software issue with the plotter, we have a warranty on the equipment but they say they cannot send a tech for software issues. Is there a way to test the software to ensure it's good or corrupted?

HP Recommended

In the past I have found some models are picky about USB sticks. I have my best luck with Kensignton and SanDisk. A factory reset might be the best choice at this point. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply Repairman, unfortunately, we have done that already, we have to factory reset to remove the inputted admin password we place on all printers to secure. Then go back and add the IP and DFG, Subnet mask, and DNS. I did try going into the browser disabling the pop-ups and adding the IP address to allowed websites, thinking it just needed to be allowed. This is the only HP series printer we have had problems with, All my B/W and color printers can be secured the same way. Puzzled.

HP Recommended

Hello all, I want to say thank you for your help, I did find out what the issue was. Our browsers have certain security and filters set for Edge and Chrome. I was able to use Safari on my iPhone to access the EWS. Since we don't use Apple laptops as GFE; I tried Firefox which is an approved browser and was able to access admin mode with our password. I hope anyone who is working with a government network that runs into the same issue might try this and see if it works for them.

Cheers!!

Dave P.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.