Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet pro 9015
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently purchased this printer, and we're really enjoying it, however this error keeps showing up. I've seen in the community that this error is also showing up on the 9010 models as well. 

I want to make my situation clear, I am not using an app from my phone, I'm just using the driving software on my PC. 

Any tips to solve this error? 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@smohara

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

Please uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the full feature software Link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJP9010/HPEasyStart-12.1.03-OJP9010_49.7.4556_1_F... and follow the onscreen instructions

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello @KrazyToad 
i unpacked my new HP Officejet Pro 9012 and have the same problem. e.g. i cannot delete this error message with AlertID 8048 (SMS specification not found).

I followed all your 13 steps, e.g. uninstalled everything and re-installed from scratch incl. full feature software.

What action can be taken to get rid of this error message?

Let me please add, that while first time turning on the OJ 9012 the printer wants to "align the print head", which was NOT sucessful. Nothing happened, while message on screen was about to print one page right after aligning the head.
THEN it is a mandatory step to scan the very same page.

As i got no page from the printer i scanned another kind of page.

THERE exactly the error message with alert mentioned above "arrived" and does not go away.

Thanks, Fritz

HP Recommended

@Fritz70

Try reinstall the printer using the Windows Built In Driver and let me know if that helps

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and reinstall the printer driver using the Windows Built In driver and follow the onscreen Instructions

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

i reinstalled the printer using Windows built in driver, all steps as you mentioned. Did not help at all!

For me this does not look like a driver problem. HP simply did not forsee something in the user interface (either in HP Smart Software OR in the UI on the printer itself) to delete error or warning messages. (ok, an error should always be dealt with, but a SMS message is nothing i want to do with an Officejet printer!)

Really strange is, that i can print. And with some workaround i can scan! But the usability of the NEW HP Officejet Pro 9012 is a mess!

• After your steps, i tried some "cold start" right from the printer menu -> nothing changed (AlertID 8048 still appears)
  • Then i tried a reset to factory settings, and re-installed and entered every setting again -> nothing changed. (AlertID 8048 still appears)

Current status:

a) OJ 9012 shows me a printer error PERMANENTLY in HP Smart software, see:

HP_Smart_OJ9012_error_message.jpg 

b) Additionally it takes always very long to scan 1 page and send it via email. then after sending email it shows me SCANNER PROBLEM error message:

20210123_114429175_iOS.jpg

When i turn OFF the printer and turn it on again- and scan again 1 page - the same error message is shown over and over again.

c) when i try to use SCAN from HP Smart Software on PC, it tells me the Scanner is in use, i shall try later, see:

HP_Smart_OJ9012_Scanner_error_message.jpg

To summarize from my point of view: New HP Officejet Pro 9012 looks like a "blue monday" product to me!

Unfortunately we are currently in a lockdown in Austria, so i cant bring the printer back where i bought it.

Please, please bring some better feedback as "reinstall from scratch" or "set back to default factory settings".

Thank you, Fritz 

HP Recommended

Let's try a semi Full Reset and then setup the printer again

Please check your Inbox for instructions

Meantime ensure the printer has the latest Firmware https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

How do you fix this error message on a Mac?

HP Recommended

I have installed the 9015e printer today, and do not want to uninstall it to remove the ID Ref 99999 alert ID 8048 (SMS specification not found, [scan warning]. The functions that I use seem to be working.  The alert should be resolved by HP in an update to the OfficeJet Pro 9015e software. You know how to reach me. Let me know.  Thank you.  

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. I CAN scan although there are lines through the page. When I copy a document, it looks like a bar code with LOTS of lines through the page. Can you suggest a fix for this? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.