Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8500A Premium
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I stupidly pulled the plug on this printer at the wrong time. But afterward it was still working, just printing with a blue cast, then no blue at all. I replaced the Cyan cartridge (HP brand), but still no blue.

Then the printer started aligning itself with every printout (maybe every color printout -- I am not sure). I replaced the Cyan/Magenta printhead. That seemed to go well, and the print quality report looks good. But it aligns and aligns -- with color printouts -- then gives the message "Alignment failed. Refer to device documentation for details."

Please advise. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @BetsyS,

If you are still experiencing the issue after trying all the steps in my previous post, you will have to contact HP for further assistance.

Contact HP:
Step 1. Open link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear 

I hope this helps, and have a great day.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, and welcome to the HP Community @BetsyS,

I understand your HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium is attempting to align after every print job and giving you a "Alignment failed. Refer to device documentation for details." error message. I will be happy to help.

Below, I have posted a link to a document that offers some troubleshooting solutions to this issue. Please try out all of the steps, in order and get back to me with the results. 

HP Officejet Pro 8500 All-in-One Printer Series (A909) - An 'Alignment failed' Error Message Display...

If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the “thumbs up” below, or click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help, Marcelus. I was optimistic since your solutions included some I hadn't tried before. But I'm afraid none of them worked for me -- although I did get some of the best-looking print quality tests I've ever seen! 

HP Recommended

Hi @BetsyS,

If you are still experiencing the issue after trying all the steps in my previous post, you will have to contact HP for further assistance.

Contact HP:
Step 1. Open link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear 

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I replaced both cartridges and was advised to align them but I can't work out how to do this

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.