Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540 series

The touch screen on my printer is solid blue with no error codes. I have tried turning it off and on, unplugging it for a while, and checking if there was a firmware update available (there was not). I am still able to print and scan using the app on my computer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello John, 

This is a tough one.  Hopefully one of the HP EXPERT MODERATORS will get back to you ASAP.  Please respond if anything solves (or not) your situation.  It is likely it is broke and needs replacement!

Please provide more insight.  If it is under warranty, return it to the store for a replacement, the Envy's are dandy little printers.  It is good you can print and scan using the computer.  What model and OS?  Exactly how did you determine the software/firmware is current?  The software actually could need the most recent update.  Is it new?  Or used for some time and did this just start happening?

You have already unplugged, etc.; however a Hard Start is as follows:

- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from  the wall outlet.
- Remove USB cable, if present.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
- Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
- Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle. Any Success?

For Customer Support, if you are in USA , call 1-800-474-6836  Don't pay for support if it's not under warranty.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying,

The printer is no longer under warrenty. I determined the firmware was current using HP's firmware update toolon their Software and Driver downloads page. 

The model of the printer is HP ENVY 5540 series. 

I tried the Hard Start but it did not solve the problem.

HP Recommended

Hello again John,

This is an intractable problem, that others have NOT resolved.  Since you can print and scan, maybe live with it until you can replace it.    Are you connected with a USB printer cable?  You could do so.   The majority of Envy printers perform well and this one isn't so expensive to replace.  This problem is rare.

I was remiss in being unclear in asking about the computer's type (laptop, pc, Mac I-thingy, etc.), the brand and the Operating System (OS).  Also, the brand/model of your router.  Has Win 10 recently updated?  Have you recently installed new ink? Have you had a paper jam or completed an unusual task such as two-sided printing, etc.

If you are interested, others have mentioned the router; so let's try rebooting the router, printer and computer.  Turn them all off, leave router off 60 seconds.  Power each up successively in that order, letting each completely restart (no blinking lights).  Maybe the router will correct itself?

Also, let's try this sequence:  uninstall printer's software, Hard Reset (Start), then download MOST RECENT software.

1)  In Windows10, Click Start (lower left key on task bar) > Control Panel.  Delete all HP Envy 5540 items.  I have two:  Basic Device Software and Help.  The 5540 Manual addresses Win 7 & 8.1 at this link:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04769827   For Mac devices, google printer software uninstallation for your particular device. 

2)  Please do the Hard Reset (Hard Start, which I previously provided).  Patiently do all steps.

3)  Download software.  Do not use the software disc that came with the printer.  Please give this link a try, maybe the results will improve? With printer, and computer turned on, please go to 123.HP.com; which site will automatically id your computer and download/install the MOST RECENT software.  The firmware/drivers are part of the software.

The other source of software is:   https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5540-all-in-one-printer-series/5447939  With the software uninstalled, it REINSTALLS without seeing "up-to-date."

Interesting info on next link, look at last two interesting comments (JoeKing and Johnny) for solution for HP 120 printer.  This concept shows a hardware problem, thus the Hard Reset should replicate unplugging the display screen? 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Blue-Screen/td-p/4318346

Good luck and Bye.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.