Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 6978
macOS 10.14 Mojave

My HP 6978  wifi printer fax scanner was working fine until last night when I changed the black ink cartridge to a brand new 902 XL. I've been through every step on the link posted on similar question pages. I have already gone through most of those steps multiple times. Exactly the same issue as many others including the person who wrote last July 2020.

Here is the issue: The printer was working just fine on Monday evening, but ran out of black ink. I replaced the black ink with a spare brand new HP 902XL original ink cartridge I keep on hand . Printer recognized it just fine as a genuine, certified HP cartridge, and full. But it won't print. No matter how much cleaning I do, or tests I run, no black ink. So, just to make sure it wasn't a defective ink cartridge, I opened & tried my brand new regular not XL 902 black & replaced all color cartridges too. Same thing. All ink shows full. Black ink won't print. Of course I've tried rebooting too. I even manually cleaned the black printer head with an alcohol wipe. It was not that inky.

Last year you suggested maybe that person had a hardware failure but the printer setting> tools >clean printer head & align print work fine. Last year your customer with the same problem wrote:

"I don't know what you'll write here to try to persuade me that a printer that was working just fine in the morning, but won't print with either of two recognized, genuine HP cartridges in the evening, just somehow had a hardware failure and now I'm out not just the price of the printer itself, but $75 more in ink that I can't use" -And I am feeling the same way! I've spent hours on this and a trip to Staples to buy more ink...I've checked and wiped the printer head. The printed page after the auto cleaning x5 prints color but not black each time, depleting the new color ink. The printer head wasn't clogged yesterday, why would it be clogged today? 2 different defective cartridges? Doubtful.

Please give advice as to how to get my printer up and running again.I like this printer. It is a home printer & has not been that heavily used. If I have to buy a new printer I'll be upset & would not buy this brand again. Thanks in advance for your help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Nancie1

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

At this point I would request you to contact HP Support in your region for Service Options

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.