Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 7602 All-in-One
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Just set up new HP Smart Tank 7602.  It COPIES colors beautifully, passed the color scan check.  BUT when I print from my iMac OS 11.7.10 only greyscale, no color, and I don't see where I can change preferences???????? Anyone with solution???

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @SFuserprinter,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're facing an issue where your HP Smart Tank 7602 is printing only in grayscale when printing from your iMac, even though it copies in color without problems. Let's troubleshoot this issue step-by-step:

1. Check Printer Settings on Your iMac

Sometimes, the printer settings on the computer might be set to print in grayscale. Here's how to check and adjust those settings:

• Open Print Dialog: When you are about to print a document, click on File > Print or use the Cmd + P shortcut to open the print dialog.
  • Show Details: If you see a 'Show Details' button, click on it to expand the printing options.
  • Check Color Settings: Look for an option that might say “Grayscale” or “Black & White”. If this is selected, you should change it to “Color”. This option might be under a dropdown menu named ‘Color Options’, ‘Quality & Media’ or something similar.

2. Check Mac System Preferences

If changing settings directly in the print dialog doesn’t work, try adjusting the settings from the system preferences:

• Open System Preferences: Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen, and select System Preferences.
  • Printers & Scanners: Click on ‘Printers & Scanners’.
  • Select Your Printer: Click on your HP Smart Tank 7602 from the list.
  • Options & Supplies: Click on ‘Options & Supplies’ and then select the ‘Driver’ or 'Options' tab.
  • Check for Color Options: Ensure there is no checkmark next to a ‘Use Printer in Black & White’ or similar option.

3. HP Printer Software

Sometimes, the printer’s own software can have additional settings:

• HP Smart Application: If you haven’t already, download the HP Smart app from the HP website or Mac App Store. This app might provide additional settings or troubleshooting tools.
  • Check Printer Settings: Within the HP Smart app, look for any color settings or a printer health check to ensure the printer is configured correctly for color printing.

4. Printer Driver Update

Ensure your printer driver is up-to-date, as outdated drivers can sometimes cause issues:

• Download Latest Driver: Go to the HP website and find the latest drivers for your HP Smart Tank 7602. Download and install them.
  • Remove and Re-add Printer: Sometimes removing the printer from your Mac and adding it back can reset any erroneous settings. Go to ‘Printers & Scanners’ in System Preferences, select your printer, click the minus (-) button to remove it, and then add it back using the plus (+) button.

5. Test With Another Application

Sometimes issues might be specific to one application:

• Try a Different Application: Try printing from another application like Preview, Notes, or another browser to see if the issue persists across applications.

6. Restart Everything

• Restart Printer and Computer: Finally, restart both your printer and your computer. This can sometimes resolve lingering issues.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have been having the same problem. I found that if I open the HP Smart App and click on the Print Documents button, I can print directly from there in color. None of the other suggested solutions worked, but this does work. Hope it helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.