Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5055
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I set up my printer, threw away the setup cartridges, went to fire up my new printer and....Use SETUP cartridges that came with your printer.

May I please have the instructions sent to me in a private message for bypassing the setup cartridges?

Thanks in advance.

Artee5000

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@artee5000

Welcome to HP Support Forums.

I understand that you no longer have the setup ink cartridges and would like to bypass the message on the printer to use the Setup ink cartridges. 

Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case. 

A private message has been sent to you with the steps to bypass the "use setup ink cartridge" message on your HP ENVY 5055 All-in-One Printer.

Hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know how it goes.

All the best!

HP Recommended

Looking desperatly for instructions on how to bypass the need for setup cartridges... I was gifted a brand new HP DeskJet 3520 missing the ink... purchased the ink... now it tells me I need setup cartridges!!! HELP!!!!

HP Recommended

Have an up c8180 giving me a message that I need to install setup cartridges. This is an older printer, I'm sure you already know that, and it was originally setup with the  setup cartridges ( over-use of that word ) and the printer works fine, great actually no issues at all but I wanted to save money and refill the cartridges myself and during that project I got a message about wrong cartridges being installed so I decides I would reset the printer back to factory condition which brought on the message saying the printer needs the original setup cartridges. I can't find those anywhere, even through hp.com/buy/parts. Can someone tell me how to bypass that situation ? Thank you 

HP Recommended

Hello Artee 5000 

i have the same problem. Could please be so nice and send me the solution too !! 

email is [personal information removed per Rules Of Participation]

i have new gifted envy 6230 and excatly the same problem. my newly bought 303xl does not work and the black setup cartridge does not work

thanx

frank

HP Recommended

@Franky1162,

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

Going through your post, I understand that you are having issues with your Envy 6230 printer. Do not worry, I’m here to help 

First off, the SETUP ink cartridges are used only to set up a new HP printer for the first series of your print jobs. They are specially designed to initialize a printer and calibrate ink levels.

Installing normal ink cartridges during the initial printer setup causes a printer error prompting you to install SETUP ink cartridges. The printer cannot be set up without associated SETUP ink cartridges installed.

Hence, if this is a first-time printer setup and if you have received the setup cartridges with the printer, please use them to setup the printer.

You can keep the regular cartridges in an air-tight container and can use once the printer is setup using the setup cartridges.

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Ink Cartridges - 'Use SETUP Cartridges' Error

just in case, if you want to bypass the setup cartridges and want to use the regular ink cartridges, I believe we can bypass the setup by performing a reset.

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello all,

I have the same problem with my ENVY Photo 6230 which was bought back in March and has already printed some 130 pages.

It refuses to accept a new black cartridge (color is okay) and insists on using the setup cartridge which was thrown away a long time ago.

Please advice.

Marc

HP Recommended

@Marc-NL,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you are getting "Use Setup cartridge" error on your HP Envy printer. No worries, I'll be glad to help you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Are you using genuine HP ink cartridges or refilled ink cartridges?

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts?

Have you tried to do a hard reset on the printer? Did you try to update the printer firmware?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Alternatively, I would suggest here is to follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP ENVY 6200, 7100, 7800 Printers - Ink Cartridge Errors

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

> Are you using genuine HP ink cartridges or refilled ink cartridges?

Yes, both a 303 and a 303XL black cartridge. Neither work.

> Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts?

I haven't touched the contacts, but did try to clean it with the printer's cleaning option.

> Have you tried to do a hard reset on the printer? Did you try to update the printer firmware?

Had the printer download the latest firmware, also did a hard reset twice (once by removing the cartridges, turning the printer off, removing the power cord, wait for a cup of coffee, then reconnect; the second time by not turning the printer off but immediately unplug the power cord, some more coffee and reconnect).

> Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Check!

> Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

> With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Check!

> Remove USB cable, if present.

Check! Well, it's via wifi 🙂

> Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Haven't tried that yet.

> Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Oddly enough, nothing works, except the printer alignment function (which prints nicely its test patterns).

At one time, even the color cartridge was reported to be empty/unknown/false but another reboot (yes, I tried it quite a few times) did reset it to its usual state, unlike the black cartridge which kept on refusing.

Kind regards,

Marc
(HP Deskjet printer user since the Deskjet 500 [at work in 1990] and believe me, many, many more models since  😉

HP Recommended

@Marc-NL,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I would suggest there is a way to bypass the setup cartridge error and use regular ink cartridges. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.