Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have (as a lot of users) the error message "jam in tray...". Tried a lot. As I read (I think in this forum) problem can be too much dirt on the fuser paper sensor. But I've found nothing where this sensor is. Perhaps theres also a vid... that shows me, how I can get rid of all the covers without destroying anything. It's a very annoying printer. The old HP (bw) in the 90s was 1000 times better. I will not try everything else before, because the sensor is propably the solution. As a lot of people tried everything but nothing helped, I don't have to to the same fault too.

Cheers Tom

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Tomxy79,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Cleaning the fuser paper sensor in your HP printer can indeed help resolve persistent paper jam errors. Here’s a step-by-step guide to locating and cleaning the sensor. Please note that the exact steps might vary depending on your specific HP printer model, but the general process remains similar.

Tools and Materials Needed:

• Soft lint-free cloth or cotton swabs
  • Isopropyl alcohol (90% or higher is preferred)
  • Screwdriver set (if needed for your printer model)

Steps to Clean the Fuser Paper Sensor:

Power Off and Unplug the Printer:

• Turn off the printer and unplug it from the power source. Allow the printer to cool down if it has been in use, especially the fuser unit as it can get very hot.

Access the Fuser Assembly:

• Open the rear cover of the printer. On some models, you might need to remove additional covers or panels. Refer to your printer’s user manual for detailed instructions on how to access the fuser unit.

Locate the Fuser Paper Sensor:

• The fuser paper sensor is typically located near the fuser assembly. It is a small, delicate component often found along the paper path where it exits the fuser. Look for a small lever or optical sensor near the fuser rollers.

Clean the Sensor:

• If the sensor is a mechanical lever, gently move it to ensure it’s not stuck. Use a soft lint-free cloth or a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean the sensor. Be careful not to apply too much pressure as the sensor is delicate.
  • If it’s an optical sensor, gently wipe the optical components with the cloth or swab. Ensure there is no dust, toner, or debris obstructing the sensor.

Reassemble the Printer:

• Once the sensor is cleaned, reassemble any parts or panels you removed to access the fuser. Ensure everything is securely in place.

Test the Printer:

• Plug in the printer, power it on, and perform a test print. Check if the paper jam error has been resolved.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.