Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After an apparenty automatic update of the firmware (20th of October), the printer first showed a few times the 79 Service Error. After trying to resolve that via some formum posts, the printer keeps rebooting now with an 49 Service Error. I've tried all kinds but to no avail unfortunately. I feel robbed of a printer now by HP because of the firmware update making my printer unuasable. I find that unacceptable!

--
Regards,
Joop Roseboom
479 REPLIES 479
HP Recommended

You need to determine if this is a hardware issue or possible computer or software issue. Disconnect all network and USB cables from the printer, including wireless. Then restart the printer to see if you get the same error when disconnected. If you do, then either you have something corrupted in the print spooler or a driver issue. In that case, you must completely clear the spooler or possibly update your driver. If the device still fails to come to ready in stand alone mode then indeed it would appear that the update has gone awry. Post back with your  findings and someone can advise further,

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I have done everything you have mentioned. The printer keeps restarting and showing the "49 Service Error" just after the initialization screens appears. I can't even get to the menu on the printer it self.

--
Regards,
Joop Roseboom
HP Recommended

Exact same problem today 10/23.  Updated firmware and it appears to have bricked my printer.  Just cycles from initializing to 49 service error turn off then on.  Repeats over and over again.  I hope HP plans to take care of this.  One minute I have a perfectly functional printer.  Then after a firmware update it's a paperweight.  Please help!

HP Recommended

Exact same problem today 10/23.  Updated firmware and it appears to have bricked my printer.  Just cycles from initializing to 49 service error turn off then on.  Repeats over and over again.  I hope HP plans to take care of this.  One minute I have a perfectly functional printer.  Then after a firmware update it's a paperweight.  Please help!

HP Recommended

Exact same problem. Service error 79 at first and could still get to the main menu. Every time I tried to print it would give the 79 error and restart. Now it's giving the 49 error while initializing and restarting. It won't get to the main menu anymore. Just continually resets and gives 49 error. My wonderful printer is dead after an HP firmware update. I feel like an idiot for leaving on automatic updates.

Is there a way to force an old firmware version with a USB drive if I can't even get to the main menu? Is there anything that can be done at this point if I can't even get to the main menu?

HP Recommended

I don't know what to do.  I bought a Brother printer last night.  I'm tempted to buy HP cartridges from Amazon, open them and then return them.  If the printer can at least get to the main screen (turn on) I think there is a way to downgrade the firmware.  I'm pretty sure from research that HP intentionally bricked our printers to force us to use HP Cartridges,

HP Recommended

Spoke with someone at HP Support.  You can try this:

Restart, on the black screen logo hold down the right lower right of the touchscreen until it says "permanent storage init." then release.

If that doesn't work lower left is Hard reset, lower right is soft reset.

I actually got to a firmware update screen and a setup screen but then it keeps failing.  Guy basically told me my printer was dead and that using non-HP printer cartridges "kills the printer slowly"

HP Recommended

This is NOT acceptable! I also did the soft and hard reset but to no avail. I have always used original HP cartridges so that can't be the problem (I've read here on the forum that that could cause the issue).

I just think the firmware is screwed up. So we need to find an older one and try to install that one (via USB?). Any one any ideas?

--
Regards,
Joop Roseboom
HP Recommended

I contacted a class action attorney.  Clearly the firmware was responsible.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.