Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
DeskJet F4580
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi all, my DeskJet F4580 is now spitting out half a page and then it stops and it gives me the "Paper !" alert on the display, this as I power up. Before it did grinding noises as it was trying to pull in the paper, this has stopped but since then I have the aforementioned issue.

If I click on Cancel it spits out the whole page blank and starts over again, pulls in the paper and it stops when half the page is out and again "Paper !" alert. Power button blinking. I have been trying to reset it to factory settings to no avail.

Anyone had similar issues? How can I reset the printer to factory settings?

Thank you!

Francesco

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Francesco_Liguo,

I'd like to help!

Solution one: Open the paper tray

Follow these steps to open the paper tray.

1. Pull on the top of the closed tray to open it, and then gently lower the tray until it is horizontal and stops.

2. Slide out the tray extender, and then flip up the paper stop at the end.

Figure : Lower the paper tray, slide out the tray extender, and then flip up the paper stop

Image of lowering the paper tray, sliding out the tray extender, and flipping up the paper stop
    NOTE: 

For best results when loading legal-size paper, fold in the paper tray extender before loading the paper to avoid a paper jam.

3. Try the intended task again.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, continue to the next solution.

Solution two: Cancel and then retry the task

Follow these steps to cancel and then retry the current task.

1. Press the Cancel button () on the control panel.

2. If you cannot cancel the task, press and hold the Power button () for three seconds to turn off the product.

• If the product successfully turns off, press the Power button () to turn on the product, and then press the appropriate button(s) on the product again to perform the intended task.

• If the product does not turn off, continue to the next solution.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, continue to the next solution.

Solution three: Reset the All-in-One

Follow these steps to reset the product.

Step one: Perform a power reset

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

3. Wait at least 15 seconds.

4. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

5. Reconnect the power cord to the printer.

6. Turn the printer on.

Step two: Print a self-test page

Printing a self-test page verifies if the hardware functions correctly.

1. Load U.S. letter or A4, unused, plain white paper into the input tray.

2. On the control panel, press and hold the Paper Type button and Resize to Fit button at the same time.

Figure : Press these buttons to print a self-test report

1. Paper Type button

2. Resize to Fit button

3. Release both buttons at the same time. The product prints a self-test report

Refer to -Blinking Lights

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi Jay, thanks for your replay.

I have followed your troubleshooting steps to no avail.

When I power-cycle the Printer and load the paper in the paper tray, the printer pulls in half a paper and stops, and gives me the paper ! Alert.

When I cancel the job it does the same again.

I have tried to give it the ‘Print test page’ command as you suggested many times. But it is not picked up and the same issue occurs time and time again.

There must be a hard reset command to reset it to factory settings, what is it?

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.