Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp envy 5052

Hey all,

After finally getting passed the carriage jam that I was getting for hours (wiped down the pole that cartridges run on several times as per another forum), now I am running into a Do not use SETUP cartridges error.  I have tried to reset printer with plug several times.  Why is this even a code?  There should just be cartridges.  I see so many people running into this problem or the printer asking for setup ones when they dont have it...  HELP!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I also get an HP instant ink error as well upon resetting.

HP Recommended

@Duduman1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you setting up the printer for the first time?

Where did you buy these ink cartridges from?

Are you using Instant Ink cartridges?

Setup ink cartridges are those that came with the printer to initialize the printer.

Insert one ink cartridge at a time to identify the defective ink cartridge.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am running into a Do not use SETUP cartridges error.

What I have learned is that there seem to be 3 types of genuine-HP cartridges for the HP Envy 5052:

1. SETUP cartridges -- used for "first-time-setup" (hang on to them, just in case you later need them)

2. ordinary cartridges, purchased at any "retail" store

3. Instant Ink cartridges -- allegedly usable for "first-time-setup", and usable when you have an active subscription to "HP Instant Ink" with an active full-time Internet connection. Without an active subscription, and/or without an active Internet connection, the printer will refuse to print.

So, which cartridges do you currently have?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.