Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp 6510
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get an error message saying printer is off line. If I turn it off and back on it prints.  I run the scan dr and it reports all is well but next day the same problem repeats.  So I run the scan doctor but it still wont print.  I turn it off and back on and it prints just fine. This is a new problem. the printer is old but I really like it.  Its worked great for many years.  I also have a MACbook and I could also print wireless from it in next room with no problem, but lately it cant get the printer to respond either.  Message on the notebook will say printer is off line.  Help me if you can.  Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@oldbudd,

Good day. Thanks for stopping by the HP forums. I will be glad to assist you and let’s get right to it. Excellent description of the issue. It is amply appreciated and kudos to you.

• DId this happen after a recent power outage or surge?
  • Did it occur after a software or Windows update?

For now, try these steps:

Now check if the issue gets resolved. This should fix the issue. if it continues, then try these steps:

• Also, update the router's firmware.
  • Run all the latest Windows 10 updates and ensure that they are installed correctly.

Now check for issue resolution. If the issue persists then try these steps to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers at the root level:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • Restart the PC again.

Then download the latest full feature driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-photosmart-6510-e-all-in-one-printer-s... and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

This should do the trick for you.

Then assign a manual IP address to the printer by following these steps:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says, “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says, “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)
  • Restart the printer and then router once done.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@oldbudd,

Good day. Thanks for stopping by the HP forums. I will be glad to assist you and let’s get right to it. Excellent description of the issue. It is amply appreciated and kudos to you.

• DId this happen after a recent power outage or surge?
  • Did it occur after a software or Windows update?

For now, try these steps:

Now check if the issue gets resolved. This should fix the issue. if it continues, then try these steps:

• Also, update the router's firmware.
  • Run all the latest Windows 10 updates and ensure that they are installed correctly.

Now check for issue resolution. If the issue persists then try these steps to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers at the root level:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • Restart the PC again.

Then download the latest full feature driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-photosmart-6510-e-all-in-one-printer-s... and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

This should do the trick for you.

Then assign a manual IP address to the printer by following these steps:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says, “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says, “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)
  • Restart the printer and then router once done.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks DavidSMP, those were great suggestions.  I did not have to do all of them. But will save those steps should this come up again. I believe the restarts of the router, which is a brand new one did the trick.  I think it took some time for the new equipment to fully match up.  thanks again.    

HP Recommended

@oldbudd,

I am happy for you and it is awesome to hear from you again. I hope things work great for you.

Take care and have a super week ahead and thanks for accepting this as a solution.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.