Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thank you Ciara I will.

HP Recommended

Following up on a problem with our printer landed me on this thread.  Observed behavior was that it was out of ink....prematurely, I thought, as we had not done much printing.  In replacing the print cartridges (XL, the extended-life, expensive ones) with new XL cartridges, I am seeing a pool of ink underneath the old ones.   Our printer has been sitting on the counter for months.  No extreme heat or positions.   We have only used HP cartridges.

HP folks, is there any reason why there should be so much ink outside of the cartridges?  I have considerably more money invested in cartridges than in the actual unit (HP Photosmart C4480)---plus I have to clean up the mess inside the printer.  If this is going to happen again, I'll save myself some mess and $$ by returning the unopened cartridge and pitching the HP printer for another manufacturer.

We are happy with the printer otherwise.

HP Recommended

There are a few suggestions:

• Ink is normally present in the service station area, where the cartridges park while not printing.  To keep the nozzles clear ink is "spit" in this area.  It is normal for there to be ink in the service station area and it is not necessary or desirable to clean this area.
  • The printer should always be stored in the proper position, turning the printer on its end or side can cause the service station ink to leak into undesirable areas.
  • Running unnecessary cleaning cycles or powering the printer off from an external switch will cause more ink to be used in servicing.  Both these could shorten the life of the cartridges and/or printer.
  • Ink cartridges do not "explode".  Badly refilled cartridges may leak and damage the printer.
  • A printer sitting for a few months may have the printheads clog.  Running up to three levels of cleaning cycles from the toolbox or the printer front panel may recover the print quality.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in responding, Bob.  Thank you for your speedy reply.   

Since I am not having trouble with the printer otherwise, I will assume from your answer that everything is working as designed.  I did not know that ink splatters are normal and do not need to be cleaned up.  I will say that I've had HP printers for many years and have never seen ink sitting in the cartridge area before.   The printer has been stored flat and the cartridges are new (not refilled).  

Will be monitoring use.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Wow...I see you're still giving your "opinion" on the functioning capabilities of HP products.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.