Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DJ 2180
macOS 10.14 Mojave

My printer stopped printing. I use USB cable. I tried to remove and add the printer, to install the last mac printer driver 5.1, to reset printing system, to delete Library > Printers > HP folder  as same as Library > Printers> PPD > Contents > Resources and to use mac drive utility repair permissions... non of the above ways to resolve the issue do not work.  Have you any other idea how to resolve this issue, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @vashicz , @PC601 

I signed up the day I experienced the same problem everyone was posting about. I signed up to specifically help with this problem, as it seemed HP and Apple were at a loss on how to handle so many customers who were having issues.

The problem with the link you provided in a lot of cases is that they are old drivers with an old certificate. Look at the date on that page- it's from 2017.

If the problem is certificate related, the 5.1 package from that site will not solve it. This is why I was recommending what I was recommending.

Also, when you are trying to help literally hundreds of users all having the same issue for the same reasons, copy/paste is the most effective way to get it done. If you look at how many people have marked my answer as the solution, you'll see the same copy/paste answer was literally what people needed, over and over again. And where that solution didn't work, I continued to help them, or asked them to start a new thread where I would help them.

All in all, I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

The solution is to download this package which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:
ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-...

Easy Admin did nothing. Easy Startup did nothing. 5.1 drivers did nothing. This worked for me!

HP Recommended

The link is not working as it is showing the complete path. Can you repost in plain text so we can copy/paste? Also I noticed it is to an ftp site. When I try variations of the path they all say "Forbidden" or no access tot his server. Thx

HP Recommended

You may need to right click and save.

Here it is in plain text:  /pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.... this link works and fixed the printing problem. 

HP Recommended

Thanks! I will try it, but before, I do, who are you, where and how did you get this? Don't want to be installing any malware or bad stuff!

HP Recommended

Check the link. It's actually from HP's FTP.

HP Recommended

Hi PC601,

Did you try the software the guy proposed? Or have you found the solution for this issue?

HP Recommended

Hi Vashicz-

I found this instead: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US from the genuine Apple site. This worked. I made sure to uninstall all previously installed downloads using the HP EasyStart app which you can download from HP 123.hp.com/setup. You may have to fiddle around, make sure your printer is plugged in, etc. to get the "uninstall" to highlight. Or maybe it will just overwrite any software you already have installed without removing the old. There are other posts that will tell you how to remove your printer from your list and reinstall in these threads that are better than mine here. Look around.

I have an ancient HP Photosmart 7760 and was eventually able to get it to print again.  I am definitely NOT a tech expert, so I'm just telling you what finally worked for me. I had just bought a new ink cartridge, so I REALLY wanted to get it to print! But, as soon as this cartridge is used up, I will get a newer printer, as I'm sure my options for drivers will disappear soon!

The link from BryanCustomPure looked like it could be legit, but he didn't answer my questions of how he got it or where it came from and I noticed he had answered a lot of similar questions with the same copy/paste answer all from the same day he signed up! I thought that was a little weird, so I did some more digging.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Hi @vashicz , @PC601 

I signed up the day I experienced the same problem everyone was posting about. I signed up to specifically help with this problem, as it seemed HP and Apple were at a loss on how to handle so many customers who were having issues.

The problem with the link you provided in a lot of cases is that they are old drivers with an old certificate. Look at the date on that page- it's from 2017.

If the problem is certificate related, the 5.1 package from that site will not solve it. This is why I was recommending what I was recommending.

Also, when you are trying to help literally hundreds of users all having the same issue for the same reasons, copy/paste is the most effective way to get it done. If you look at how many people have marked my answer as the solution, you'll see the same copy/paste answer was literally what people needed, over and over again. And where that solution didn't work, I continued to help them, or asked them to start a new thread where I would help them.

All in all, I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.