Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
LaserJet CP1025nw
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

First off, the printer is working OK and I normally avoid trying to "fix" something that ain't "broke".  However, I decided to upgrade f/w from version 20130826 to version 20150114, to "fix" an "Open SSL Vulnerability" issue.  Steps I followed:  1) Downloaded F/W Update Utility 20150114 (Win7 32-bit .exe file) from HP support website. 2)Ran the Utility using wired LAN connection, with a "Successful"  (Smiley Face) conclusion. and noticed printer obviously re-initializing as expected.  3) Reviewed configuation again and it appears that nothing actually updated!!   Configuration page still shows f/w is ver "20130826"   4) Repeated Step 2 using a USB connection, same results.  5) Gave up trying to do it with the Win 7 machine so I started over  COMPLETELY only this time using a Mac OS X 64-bit intel based system (using the appropriate MAC .dmg/.app file).  When I launch the .app icon however, the response is “HP Firmware Upgrade Utility.app” can’t be opened. You should eject the disk image".  Same results using both wired network or USB connections.    I have NO other machines available.  Printer is still working OK  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I will not waste any more time trying to "upgrade" the f/w.  Perhaps the NEXT release of the f/w upgrade will be more effective.

In the meantime, I'll closely monitor the printer's behaviour and consider using the USB connection only (with NO "sharing") to avoid possible Open-SSL-Vulnerabilty  attacks.   (Good bye e-Print and other internet WAN access!)

I will  RETIRE this printer if I see or experience evidence of any "attacks".

If appropriate, can you forward this message thread to your team that  specializes in Open-SSL features of the various firmware(s).  I would  appreciate any comments from them regarding other steps to take.

Thanks,  Don

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @DMfullCA,

I see that you are having issues updating the printer's firmware, by Ethernet and a USB connection. I will certainly do my best to help you.

You should always run the firmware update by a USB connection. Network connections may not be successful.

Power cycle the printer. Connect the USB cable again from the printer directly to the computer and the power cable directly to a wall outlet and run the firmware update again. (don't use a USB hub or Dock) Be sure to select the newly created print queue for the USB connection while using the tool.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836 if the issue persists. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assis​t.html

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the Thumbs up button below.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have followed your suggestions and still have SAME problem:  The Firmware Update Utility appears to run to completion with normal prompts and messages, progress bar, etc.  and a final "Successful"  message.  There is even and a "Smiley face".   The Printer also appears to behave as expected.  The only indication of any "problem" is that "device configuration" still shows the "old" f/w version (20130826 not 20150114 as expected).

QUESTION:  Is it possible that the "new" firmware (with the SSL Vulnerability fix) now actually installed in the printer, but for some reason the f/w verstion (as shown in device configuration ) is simply "WRONG" but otherwise OK to continue to use?

As I have said before, I am able USE this printer with NO problems using 3 different computers (Win 7, Win Vista, & Mac OS 10).  All other diagnostics (ie, HP Update, Print & Scan Dr., etc.) show nothing "wrong" either.  The HP ePrint feature works fine too.

Please advise.     Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi DMfullCA,

This is certainly a peculiar issue that you are having. The firmware update is showing successful, but the Configuration Page is still showing the older firmware version.

Since the firmware isn't showing the version, most likely it didn't update properly. It is up to you, if the printer is still in warranty you can call our technical support at 800-474-6836 and inquire about a replacement printer. You might not need the update since everything is working properly, but if you need it down the road and aren't able to update it, you would probably have to have the printer serviced at that time. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I will not waste any more time trying to "upgrade" the f/w.  Perhaps the NEXT release of the f/w upgrade will be more effective.

In the meantime, I'll closely monitor the printer's behaviour and consider using the USB connection only (with NO "sharing") to avoid possible Open-SSL-Vulnerabilty  attacks.   (Good bye e-Print and other internet WAN access!)

I will  RETIRE this printer if I see or experience evidence of any "attacks".

If appropriate, can you forward this message thread to your team that  specializes in Open-SSL features of the various firmware(s).  I would  appreciate any comments from them regarding other steps to take.

Thanks,  Don

HP Recommended

Hi DMfullCA ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this Post has instructions.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Firmware still shows 20130826 after update.

HP Recommended

This seems to be not so strange after all. I have a P1109w with firmware that reports 20140916. 

I downloaded firmware that should report as 20150114 - http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-p1109-printer-series/85016....

Upon update, it states "Please note that firmware version in the application is older than the firmware version in the device. The resulting screen that I would have expected to see as 20150114 shows up as 20130703.

I expect that either the developers have forgot to update the time stamp or there is incorrect publising of downloads. It would be nice to have this resolved.

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 2.26.46 PM.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.