Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Dear community,

! As a special note, this solution was recently deleted, accident or strategy?

First of all, in my opinion it's untrustworthy but of course an inacceptable thing that HP blocks third party cadridges in the name of an security update called "Dynamic Security" (see and search for c05308850). And naughty to to this in a business product. Especially the lie of official hotline "theres no way to downgrade". Even though i like HP printers, this should be reason enough to never buy HP printer again.

But now here the solution you searching for:
In my case, my goal was downgrade to firmware 1848A (WMP1CN1848AR) from 1919BR (WMP1CN1919BR).

This is the solution to firmware downgrade HP Office Jet Pro 8720 and of course 8710 and other series.

First, dont waste your time with the firmware update utility. You already know, that if the installed firmware is newer than the one you try to install, the options are greyed out.  It is only possible to update not downgrade with it.

However if the utility is startet from an extracted path, you will notice the file EnterpriseDU.ini in the root path and another one in the folder with the firmware's name. In the file from the first place, you will see VerifyDownloadID=1 inside the ini. If you modify to 0 and start the tool, you get an error message invalid configuration file or similar. But if you change to 0 while the tool is running, then press refresh inside the tool you can select to upgrade (downgrade in this case). But in my case the "update" still fails. In the file of the second path, i notice a list of devices/firmwares under the section [DownloadID]. It seems to be a numbered list of previous firmware states the update tool let you upgrade from. So i try to add additional listings with my actual firmware image, in the hope, the update utlility regonize the "new" als an "older from" image. But i didn't come into the type of hash they used to build from the xy.ful file. So i cancel this investigation. (anyway you will notice the firmwares entry in the same file from future releases).

FINAL SOLUTION: At last, the simple trick to downgrade was shocking easy.

1. On your Windows device, share your printer with simple name, eg. "8720" and dont use spaces or something like that.

(in addition i gave the control printer right to everyone at the share permissions, but maybe this was not neccesary)

2. Press WIN+R -> cmd -> To start a command line (cmd)

3. Switch to the directory where you extract the firmware update file xy.exe and go to the directory where the *.ful file (thats the firmware file) is.

4. Use the following command, to binary-copy the firmware file to your printer (in my case it was a network printer, i dont try usb connection, but i think it would work too)

copy /b weber_vr2_pp1_WMP1CN1848AR_nbx_signed.ful \\localhost\8720

Your printer now making some sounds and updates in the background - dont touch and turn it off now, just wait!

The printer then restarts, shows a green screen, numbered from 1-5, updating and start again.

After update, your before non working catridges will work - what a magic - downgrade works!

In addition, have a look at your printers Web-GUI after upgrade for a function called "Cartridge Protection" at Tools -> Product Information -> Catridge Settings. Turn it to off.

Of course it would be a good idea to turn of automatic update too :-)... look at Tools -> Printer Update -> Firmware Update and turn it to off.

File Download:

Because HP deletes previous verions from their repository to prevent downgrades, you have to search for the files in the web. The 1848AR firmware file found here (try yourself as long as this link works): https://hpsetupdriver.com/hp-officejet-pro-8720-firmware-setup/

HP Recommended

can some one let me know where can I get the firmware .ful file?

HP Recommended

@Victor_

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

For which Printer do you want the Firmware file?

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is for my HP office pro 8720. My blank ink ran out and the non-HP ink I brought before is not working now.

Thanks for reply.

HP Recommended

Hi,

as in the first post mentioned. As long as the link works, for the 8720 1848AR firmware. it's:

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1FgBvoS_Rxf11d3YWBw42jkrJ8LDedii8&export=download

Victor, you never will get an old an old firmware file for you printer from hp support. Its not in HP's interest to re-open the support of third party catridges - or like they say to "downgrade your security". So an employee can't and would'nt give it to you and will not risk his job for a firmware file.

You may have a look here, it's the same discussion in a german printer board.:

https://www.druckerchannel.de/forum.php?seite=beitrag&ID=335270&s=2

HP Recommended

The download link is exe file, where can I see the ful file?

HP Recommended

Now come on Victor, you have to unpack the file of course ... 🙂

HP Recommended

Did I miss something here. The one I saw is a single exe file (not zipped) and when I run it, it will show the Gui for firmware upgrade, how can I "unpack" this?

HP Recommended

Thanks everyone! Now I understand what you mean, my printer is fixed. 

HP Recommended

People,

the downgrade process is too complicated for most people and it involves executing potentially unsafe files on your PC

just contact your 3rd party cartridge supplier for free replacements. They’ve been selling cartridges with new chips pretty much a week after HP s screwed things up. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.