Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP PageWide Pro 477dw
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

All of a sudden word doc from Macbook comes out scrambled. Same for Excel and PowerPoint. Literally happened overnight with no settings changed. Help!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Same exact problem.  Changed overnight with no configuration changes from us.  Only happens with the 477dw - printing the exact same documents with the exact same software and machine produces normal results on my other HP printers, so hard to believe it's a Microsoft or Mac problem.

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?  Microsoft spent hours trying to figure out if it was their issue but HP is completely useless for support and solutions.   Thanks.

HP Recommended

I posted this response in another thread dealing with the same issue (Re: 477DW prints frames and question marks instead of text).  This solution has worked for me and others so you might give it a try.

HP has never responded to the issue, but I have found the solution to be what you described.  If you setup the printer as a Generic PCL printer it will only print black and white.  If you set it up as a Generic Postscript printer, however, it appears to print normally from all sources.

jackp801_0-1629231660499.png

I am running macOS Big Sur Version 11.5.1.  Not fixed by any means but this workaround seems to let me print from Microsoft products without issue.  I place the blame for this squarely in HP's court since I can print on the same network from the same device from the same Microsoft applications to an HP laser printer in our office without issue.  One wonders if HP actually ever has anyone monitoring these community posts!

HP Recommended

The above solution worked for me too. Thank you for sharing the work around, it's really helpful. Hopefully they will come up with a proper fix soon 🤞

HP Recommended

Hi, I also have this problem and would like to use your suggestion but how do I change the printer Kind to Generic Postscript Printer?

HP Recommended

Here is the process start to finish:

Open "System Preferences" and click on "Printers & Scanners".  If you've already installed the printer you will see something like this:

jackp801_0-1630523658381.png

Highlight the printer as I have done above and then click the "-" button to remove it.  You will get a confirmation dialog pop-up:

jackp801_0-1630523859784.png

Click "Delete Printer".  Once that has completed, click the "+" button to add a new printer.  You should get a dialogue which lists your available printers.  When you select the PageWide printer you will see that the system automatically selected "Secure AirPrint" as the way to communicate with the printer:

jackp801_0-1630524144685.png

You must then click the drop box and select "Generic Postscript Printer":

jackp801_0-1630524333207.png

Once you've done that, simply click "Add" and you're done!

HP Recommended

Same issue - Has anyone received a response from HP, or just the above hack?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Hope you are well, its recommended to reinstall the printer with the generic postScript driver, by any chance has anyone tested by saving the file into a thumbdrive and print it directly from the printer USB port? to check if the issue persists that way? 

or attempt to print the same file that gives the issue, but from a windows computer to the same printer? 

Regards,

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

I have been trying to contact HP for the past week or so about this issue and received no response. Highly frustrating. Have used the above suggestion which has worked for printing from MAC but the same problem appears if you try and AirPrint from any other device (iPhone etc). 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.