Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

@GOT1

Welcome to HP support community.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP support.  I just purchased the same 901XL cartridge for my Officejet 4500 G510n-z and I am having the exact same problem described in this thread - especially the last poster.  This dialog needs to be made public - what is the answer?

Thank you 

HP Recommended

@Robert4448, Welcome to HP Support Comunity!

I understand you have issues with the new ink cartridge purchased. To provide you with an accurate solution, I'd like to know the following-

Do you have issues with test print as well or just the documents printed from the computer?

What is the Operating System installed on your computer?

What happens when you make photocopies on the printer?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is a new edit.

I removed anything and everything (software, drivers, printers) having to do with HP and let the Windows 10 machine reinstall. 

And that worked.

Thanks,

Mike

HP Recommended

@mdmaddux

Happy to hear that.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Belay my last post. Printing simple black and white text, like from Notepad, it looks perfect.

Everything else is still ghosted as described.

I'm going to do one more full reset and reinstall and if that it doesn't do it, then it's history.

Why would the 901XL cartridge damage to so many machines? I hate a mystery. 

HP Recommended

Ok, here's the solution that worked for me. I tossed the HP 901XL cartridge and replaced it with an[ edit] after-market cartridge and the problem DISAPPEARED. The new  cartridge cost about $16 from Amazon. The color HP 901 works fine in a pure color or in a color requiring black ink. This points to the black HP 901XL and maybe the  black HP 901 being the root cause of the problem. You may want to stock up on the as when they start refilling new HP 901XL cartridges, the problem may return.  Is HP ready to acknowledge this is a cartridge problem? 

HP Recommended

HP - this is still an issue that you are neither acknowledging or resolving.  I have a  perfect example of a PDF printout below in which a portion of the text is very clear and readable, but another portion of the page where the print is ghosted and unreadable, and yet another portion that the print is semi-ghosted.  It appears the ghosting happens where HTML is inserted above or beside the text.  This is unacceptable.  This is clearly a driver or firmware issue. 

This was not an issue until I installed the latest 901XL cartridge last month.   All of my driver settings are up to date.  The only change has been this god forsaken cartridge!!!  It is tax season and I need my printer to work properly.   FIX IT!!!

HP Printer Problem.jpgSee picture below.  

HP Recommended

Test print is fine

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, OS Build 17763.1039

Photo copies are fine

See my previous post from 5 minutes ago - I attached an image of what I see.  All SW and drivers are up to date.  Your cartridge has a firmware or driver problem!!!

HP Recommended

So, HP very carefully removed the name of the third party cartridge company in my previous email. Which means they don't want you using a cartridge that actually works in their printer. And of course, the HP people who  love to comment here on this site and tell you to disconnect and re-boot everything, are not to be found.  Do a Google search for L cartrdgs and try their variation. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.