Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have the issue since purchasing an HP901 XL cartridge on my HP Officejet J4680. This is an old printer but has been very reliable, I've never had issue. I reinstalled the old HP901xl cartridge that has still some left and the ghosting disappeared so there's got to be something on the newer version of these HP901XL cartridges. I've gone back to Staples and have given me a replacement HP901XL, still same ghosting issue, even gotten worst. What do I do now. I paid $62.99 for the ink not to mention now I have to buy a printer as the one I have now is useless? Come on HP there's got to be something you can do about this. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@AnnaBtura, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Since the old cartridge works fine, this could be an issue with the cartridges purchased from staples. 

I'd recommend you reach out to the HP Support in your region for further course of action.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As an originator of this ghosting problem stream, here's some surprising new results for my HP 4500 :

1. This problem initially started about 9 months ago when I installed a 901 XL and ghosting appeared. 

2. The problem went away when I reinstalled a regular 901. 

3. Then installed a new 901 XL, same problem. 

4. Bought a new 901 and, same problem. 

5. Ready to toss printer. 

6. Tried an after-market[edit]  901 XL cartridge. 

7. Problem WENT AWAY. 

8. This appears to be a quality issue with HP's ink cartridges 901 and 901 XL

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.