Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 8610 All in one

I removed the cartridge pack to refill with new ink cartridges, now I cannot get the carriage back to the loading position (far left of range).  When the door is open it says cannot print with the door open, when the door is closed.  When the door is closed the message reads "print carriage cannot move, clear obstruction.

I have tried the power cycle, unplugged from wall and printer, does not help.  I went out and bought $160 worth of cartridges to no avail!!

Does anyone know how to get the carriage to the load position without destroying the printer??

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@TomClark6225

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the HP Officejet 8610 Print Carriage will not move to the load position after attempting to replace the cartridge,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you ensure the replacement cartridge you've purchased is compatible with your device?

Have you replaced the cartridge before without these issues?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to know:

Visit HP SureSupply to check ink or toner cartridge compatibility or purchase replacement cartridges and other supplies.

1. Go to HP SureSupply.

2. If necessary, select your country/region.

Figure : Country/region selector

Selecting your country/region
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to order new supplies or check cartridge compatibility with your printer.

You can also purchase genuine HP cartridges and supplies from other retailers.

Video of replacing an ink cartridge in the HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 Printer

View this video on YouTube

Alternatively, Follow these steps to replace the cartridges.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Place your fingers into the slot on the left side of the printer, and then pull to open the cartridge access door.

The carriage moves to the left side of the printer.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

1. Slot for opening the cartridge access door

3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent.

4. Push in on the front of the cartridge to release it, and then pull it toward you to remove it from its slot.

Figure : Remove the cartridge from its slot

Image: Remove the cartridge from its slot.
  5. Remove the new cartridge from its package.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, the cartridges are all HP, purchased from Staples.  I realize part of the problem is that I remove the carriage assembly that holds the cartridges.  Now I cannot get the carriage holder to move to the left hand position and stay there, allowing me to reinsert the assembly.  Can this be rectified or is the printer destroyed at this point?

Tom

HP Recommended

@TomClark6225

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm afraid this could be a carriage jam and here's what you could do before deeming it destroyed, because we can still revive it via the below methods:

Method 1: Turn off the printer, and then on again
Method 2: Clear any jammed paper from the printer
Method 3: Make sure that the carriage can move freely
Method 4: Remove and then reinstall the cartridges
Method 5: Inspect the printhead
Method 6: Plug the printer directly into a wall outlet
Method 7: Reset the printer

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If the issue persists, then we may need to get the printer either repaired or replaced via HP:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes. I had the same problem with my hp 8610 printer. Where the carriage is stuck (on the far right side) use your finger to move the carriage latch arm that's attached to the side of the carriage back to the down position.  The carriage will not move to its original position for loading ink as long as the latch arm is in the up position. close the front door and allow the carriage to reset.

hope this help.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.