Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP Envy 7640, probably 5+ years old now, has always been, and still is, great at printing, single side or duplex. Light home office use - maybe 500- 700 pages printed in total over that that time.

The issue I am experiencing  is when scanning a document or 8.5x11 paper with perfect printing (edges or margins are perfectly aligned and print is of good to high quality) via the ADF or manually placing the paper on the scan bed, the resulting scan to pdf comes out crooked or tilted or misaligned. Going through a printer alignment procedure (for 7640) only aligns the print heads and not the scanner. 

In the beginning this was sporadic and I attributed this to operator error. But as time goes on I started paying very close attention to this and painstakingly made sure the paper was placed perfectly on the scanner bed and slowly closed the lid. Outcome - still misaligned. Can anyone suggest what to do for this issue?

My main use for an all-in-one now is basically converting my old printed life to electronic scanned copies. So scanning is critical to me. I considered age of the printer and went online to check out the latest and greatest - namely  a 9025e. But reading reviews from recent purchasers (March 2021), they are complaining about? - you guessed it - misaligned scans and this is a brand new latest printer technology from HP. SO, that makes me very hesitant to buy a 9025e simply because of the number of poor reviews. 

No software settings or alignment maintenance fixes this issue. I sure hope someone can help here. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CopperShine, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

This seems like an issue with the scanner mechanism.

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your PC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

If the issue persists, and if the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I sincerely appreciate the feedback/suggestions.

However, all that is mentioned below was performed some time ago, to no effect. All SW/FW is up to date. The misalignment issue is getting worse with age which suggests a mechanical alignment issue with scanning HW. I would be willing to have this looked at but there is no information on any type of mechanical alignment/adjustment procedures or repairs. Replacement level costs put the printer in the toss and replace category.

I did look at a 9025e as a potential replacement. Upon looking at posted reviews there are some issues that tell of what? - you guessed it - scan misalignment - right out of the box. And I simply do not want to have to fight this battle - anymore. Other HP Officejet All-In-Ones reviews also  indicate scan issues of some sort.

Most of these printers are years old and you cannot find out from HP when a new model with new scan technology or at least improved scan technology is coming out.

Thanks again for taking a look at this issue.

HP Recommended

@CopperShine

I understand. However, this is not a known issue with HP printers. You may consult a sales representative at HP to check for the best printer as per your requirements.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.